Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

need advice! my air filter fell off while i was driving!

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by LONO100, July 18, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. LONO100

LONO100 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Bay Area CA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      03 sport trac XLT
      hey all, i did a little off roading over the weekend which must have loosened the strap that holds my KN MAF intake air filter onto the intake tube. today, i went mountain biking which required me to drive a little distance on a gravel road. somewhere between that offroading session over the weekend and me parking to go for my bike ride today, the air filter fell off of the intake tubing. the only way i noticed was when i tried to take off for home after my ride and my truck died not far after pulling onto the road. only upon opening the hood just then did i notice that the air filter had fallen off.

i did a status check after my roading session over the past weekend before i drove home and the filter was on, but im guessing it was somehow loosened and i didnt notice it.

after re-fastening the air filter back onto the intake tube, my truck started right up and i drove home no problem. my question is, what possible damage could i have done to my engine with the air filter off like that? im hoping that it JUST fell off as i pulled onto that gravel road today and when i started the truck back up when leaving for home, it died because the MAF sensor wasnt in position on the intake tube. how long could that filter have been off before the truck would die, or did it die right when the filter and the MAF sensor fell off? what steps should i take to make sure i minimize the possible damage? im already planning on changing the oil tomorrow, but are there any fuel additives or anything like that that i can buy to help clean out any dust that may have gotten sucked into the engine?

any help with this would be greatly appreciated. love my rig, and have never had this happen before so any help would be great. if i left anything out that might help, please let me know. the truck is a 2003 sport trac XLT 4.0L SOHC.

thanks fellas!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. sport97

sport97 Elite Procrastinator

City, State:
      connellsville pa
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1997 sport SOHC 4.0
      If its running i'd say you didn't suck up anything to cause damage. Maybe just pull off the intake tube and clean it and the throttle body as they may be dusty/dirty now depending on how long and the roads you were on.