Need advice on 2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need advice on 2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD

eeyorejeff

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Eddie Bauer 4WD
A few months ago my Explorer started hesitating at 45-50 mph. Below or above that it cruised fine.

I took it to F last month to get it checked out when it seemed to get worse (hesitating more at lower speeds, especially uphill). They said it was the transmission.

I took it to my transmission guy, CT, who said there could be something wrong with the transmission, but the larger issue was a misfire, and probably a coil or two that needed changing.

I went back to F, and they changed out the ignition coil. But that didn't change anything. It drove the same.

I took it to CB for another opinion, and they said the coil was bad because there was coolant leaking into the cylinder, and instead of changing the head gasket it was better to just get a new engine.

After picking it back up it drove even worse, and now in idle it's very rough.

Well, I don't have $4,000 to spend like that, so I went back to F to see if they agreed (but without telling them that I took it to CB, to see if they came up with the same diagnosis independently).

F looked again and now say that I need a couple of new spark plugs.

I wish I trusted any mechanic, so I'm at a loss.

I'm wondering if CB is right and F just never looked deeper at the issue beyond changing a couple of things to charge me for.

I could use any advice, please. (And if you just want to call me an idiot, don't worry, I'll stipulate to that, because when it comes to cars I'm a moron.)

Thanks.

Take the truck to mechanic X that doesn´t know F, CB, CT...

Is a good idea to ask a family member or good friend for a known and trusted mechanic..

How many miles, what year, what engine??? Last tune-up?

Back