Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Need Amp Advice

Discussion in 'Explorer Audio & Navigation' started by DiGiornoRisingCrust, March 13, 2019.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. DiGiornoRisingCrust

DiGiornoRisingCrust New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2007 Explorer Eddie Bauer
      After thinking my sub finally gave up, I started the search for a new one, and thought about getting a 5 channel amp. However, my sub regained life a week ago, and now I’m conflicted on what to do. After already upgrading the door speakers and the HU, my “mess around” money is a little stretched, (broke teenager) so I’d like to keep it under $400.

Currently, I’m running a Kenwood 2din reciever, 4 Kicker CS series speakers, some dynamat knockoff in the doors, and stock sub with no amp. Do I get a new sub (it would have to fit stock enclosure, so 8” with a cubic volume of ~.5 ft) with a mono amp, or get a new sub with a 5 channel amp? My speakers are rated for 75W RMS at a sensitivity of 90dB. Currently, they are powered by the receivers built-in 20W amp, and they sound mediocre until you start cranking the volume. Obviously, I can’t do this all the time.

If a 5 channel amp is worth, how many watts RMS do I need to get a significant advantage over stock? I can get a great deal on a 40W, and a good deal on a 60W.

Or should I just stick with stock sub and a 4 channel amp?

Thanks!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      98 Limited AWD
      If your HU has RCA cables(it will), any good amp will be way better than the speaker outputs of the HU.

I prefer the old old Nakamichi amps, which have virtually zero distortion(.003-.005% THD). Those of any size will make way more sound than needed for all but competition use. Find the small 2x30W PA200 amp, that one will fit in most spaces, under a seat etc. It's about $50-$100 when you find one on eBay, if it works when you get it, it may last until you sell it. I have those and a 4x35W version for my 92 Lincoln and other projects. The bigger ones like the PA300 etc, run well over $100 typically, even being 30+ years old. A lot of people know about them.

But any kind of amp will be better than the speaker outputs(20W/ch you said).

Here's a search to eBay for "PA 200 Nakamichi"
      PA 200 Nakamichi | eBay