Need Help Asap...Front Diff/Axle Oil Seal Leak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Help Asap...Front Diff/Axle Oil Seal Leak

EMStaxi

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Piscataway, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Mountaineer
I replaced the front differential seal for the right axle the other day, after realizing fluid loss and virbrations from front end when driving on the highway. I began getting those vibrations again and notice that fluid was dripping from the new seal but where the right cv joint goes into the differentil. It also looks like the right axle has slid outwards maybe an inch... Where did I go wrong? The only thing I can think of is that all I had to drive the new seal on was a 36mm axle socket and that wasn't large enough to go around the whole seal. Any suggestions? I'm going to get another seal in the morning.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry I don't have any suggestions, but was wondering if you pulled the half shaft out? I just got myself a new one (not installed yet), but on reading the chilton book it says to get a new hub nut, and new cir-clip (on inside part of shaft). Is this clip what makes the seal from the diff to the half shaft? I'm really ready to put the new shaft in, seems easy enough, but any extra tips a welcome! Good luck to you,

Which side are you doing? When i got a new shaft for the right side, it came with a new nut. I never bothered with the clip. You shoud be able to it in an hour.

Tips....
Axle Nut... 32mm Axle socket
Brake Caliper Bolts...1/2 in Socket
Caliper Rail Bolts ...15mm socket
Hub Bolts...15mm Socket.
Ball Joint Nut...24mm Socket( I believe, if not then 22)
Tie Rod End Nut...Im thinking 22mm or 17/38 socket(I can double check if you want)
Steering Knuckle Bolt (connects toupper control arm)...I believe 17mm...

Extra...
Air rachet, Air Impact Wrench, Compressor...(makes everything easier)
WD-40, 1/2 inch and 3/8 Breaker bar, Hammer.

Hope this helps....

Thanx so much! You cant know (well yes, you can) how much that simplifies things. I noted in your reply that you didn't replace the clip. Do ya think that has something to do w/ the leakage? Also, if the shaft appears to be out an inch from norm, maybe it wasn't in good enough to begin with. Just a thought. Oh, and btw, I'm doing the driver's side. BTW, do you have a link to any pics of your truck? Thanx again,

Unfortunately I don't have any links for picks, but I do have strobes also...4 in the front and 4 in the rear as well as a siren(no permit).

I didn't notice any vibrations on my way to work and back...even at 110 mph running with a mustang and a neon.

Back