NEED HELP BIG TIME | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

tommueller

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
200120022003sportandtrac
i have a 2003 explorer sport trac 5sp manuel that ive had for maybe a month when i hit black ice and maneged to bend my frame rails about a foot 11.45inches to be excact and 4 ribs, so i freaked out went down 2 pickand pull sawed off the inner fender to the door and the frame rails 4 foot or so back i cut out the bent rails after trying with frame tools to straighten them and now im melting down i was thinking of sleeving the frame rails and welding in the news ones as best and straight as i can but if thereis a metal bumper alternative that somebody knows about i would appreciate it or just someadvice of whereto go from here thi truck was my baby i own 2 sport tracs a sport and a 4 door regular body the first car i owned was my 2001 sporttrac and it has 255000 miles going strong i love these cars and frankly is what made me become a car guy ive never not fixed a car but this one might win

Snapshot_20180425_2.JPG

Snapshot_20180425_3.JPG

Snapshot_20180425.JPG

Snapshot_20180425_5.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Let that one go. I’d never consider this kind of repair on a 2003 Explorer. The chances of making it right again are slim if you aren’t an excellent fabricator.

Just @MONMIX so he’ll see this, and don’t start another thread. I can almost guarantee what he will say, however.......

Pick up a junk Sport Trac with a good frame. Swap out your body and parts. You are doing half the work now.

if you have no collision repair experience, which i have to think you dont, you are in way over your head. even now if you took it to a shop and asked them to repair this, most if not all shops will walk away. like said above, your best bet is to do a frame swap using another trac.

OP, I have to agree that a frame swap would be the only realistic option. It's a lot of work, but if you're dead set on saving your ST it's the only viable way to go.

BTW - If you decide to do a frame swap, there's a member here (@Sport100) who's rather desperate for some rear frame pieces to repair his ST.

I would never do that, get a whole frame from junkyard and swap it out. Time to get some really big jackstands and 4x4 posts.

Oh sweet baby Jesus.......

There is no correct ( read: safe) way to *repair* a full frame.
Your best bet as has been said is a full frame swap.
You will need a lift to do that by the way.

Even if this was a good idea those frame rails would need to be cut back farther, the frame is still mangled where you cut it off.I suggest a full frame swap, you wont get this near straight with no experience.

so i did the unthhinkable and just did a frame swap with not much more than a trans jack n engine jack and 3 4x6x12 posts swapped the body so anyway i have a whole 2003 5 spd manuel st toreador red that i m parting out or selling as whole truck ifyuguys know people needing parts i am there guy have whole truck plus extra parts drivetrain already dropped out of it let me know

Good job on doing right. A body swap is no easy feat.

Congrats! That was a big job. Glad you stuck with it and did it the right way. You should be proud of yourself.

Umm, WOW.

Good on you.

Back