1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Need help identifying broken hose

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by bme107, December 6, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. bme107

bme107 New Member

City, State:
      MD
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '94 XLT
      I was under the hood adding washer fluid and did the visual once over of the entire engine bay. I found this broken hose and w/o a shop manual I can't diagnose what it is and what it should effect. It drives fine and there are no warning lights etc.

'94 4.0L V6
      Front of the engine is to the right. I circled, in red, the hose that is broken. The right piece drops down and goes into what I assume is a vacuum switch/sensor that is seen in the picture. The left piece goes around the back of the engine and connects up to a bracket that has multiple hose fittings on it.
      [​IMG]

Any help would be great.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. elkhunter

elkhunter Active Member

City, State:
      Big Horn, Wy
      91 Eddie Bauer Explorer
      On 10-19-04 a member by the name of slow-demon posted a list of the vacuum users in your outfit. It looks like it might be for the interior accessaries but I am not positive. I think the thread name was "Vacuum leak".

4. bme107

bme107 New Member

City, State:
      MD
      '94 XLT
      Thank you. I'll follow up on that lead.

5. MrShorty

MrShorty Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Spanish Fork, UT
      92 XLT and '87 Bronco II
      That thing to the right with the braided steel line is your fuel pressure regulator. If I follow the broken vacuum line, it looks like it goes to the FPR, correct?

6. bme107

bme107 New Member

City, State:
      MD
      '94 XLT
      Yes it does. Using elk's suggestion above I've searched out and found that it does lead into the FPR (I didn't know what that looked like before).

What problems should I be seeing with it like this? I've only noticed slightly longer starting times, but figured that was because of the colder weather.

7. MrShorty

MrShorty Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Spanish Fork, UT
      92 XLT and '87 Bronco II
      Is the vacuum line going to the intake manifold plugged off or sucking air? I think this would cause the greatest problems -- having this vacuum leak.

Going to the FPR, engine vacuum is used to moderate the fuel pressure some according to engine load, as indicated by engine vacuum. Leaving the vacuum line disconnected (and plugged) normally won't create any problems for the computer. It is normally capable of dealing with the increased fuel pressure. On the other hand, vacuum tubing isn't very expensive, and it wouldn't be difficult to replace.

8. bme107

bme107 New Member

City, State:
      MD
      '94 XLT
      I have done no modifications under the hood. So if your question is if the left portion of line is plugged, then no. If the line to the IM is different, then I believe that it is functioning as designed and affixed properly at both ends, as I've not seen any other breaks or odd plugs.
      Sorry, I'm new to this engine/vehicle.

From what you've written, am I correct to assume that this vacuum line releaves pressure from the FPR? By fixing it could I see a leaner a/f mix and possibly better mpg? Or has the computer already adjusted for this, up to a point at least?

The X is not a daily driver, but I will get some tubing before the family road trip for the holidays.

9. MrShorty

MrShorty Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Spanish Fork, UT
      92 XLT and '87 Bronco II
      The computer will adjust for the increased fuel pressure. If it can't, the CEL will come on, and you will get a trouble code in the computer.