Need Help Identifying Manual Trans | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Help Identifying Manual Trans

xploder98

Reaction score
City, State
Hemet, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Saleen xp8 #27
Recently, unless I didn't notice by some chance which wouldn't happen, the shifter case and floor area right around it has been gettin warm. I don't have problems shifting in and out of gears. As far as I know the gear oil has never been changed. Mom bought it new in 98, it sat for the last 4 years, I got it about 7 months ago and put in a rebuilt 4.0 ohv, and have put over 6000 miles on it so far. My point is I'm sure it could use a changin :) problem is I can't identify the trans. I've looked threw a lot of similar threads and haven't had much luck. The sticker on my trans says
F87A
EA
D240342

I have a fill plug and a drain plug (2 seperate plugs). If you guys want me to take a pic let me know. This is a MANUAL Trans by the way. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can you get the trans code off of the door sticker?
Also, I believe the fluid it calls for in a manual trans is MERCON ATF.

There's pretty much only one manual trans model in the Explorer world - the M5OD. The problem is that there are two flavors, the HD and the non-HD (m5od-r1hd vs m5od-r1). But I believe the HD only came behind the SOHC (not the OHV).

I got a good pic of the door sticker but I don't know how to post the pic. There is a TR and under it is the letter M.

Back