Need help or its going off a cliff. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help or its going off a cliff.

dwinski

Reaction score
City, State
Tacoma Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xlt
I have a 92 explorer. When we bought it back in October it needed new head gaskets, but ran smooth and strong. we took the motor out to replace them. now we cant get the damn thing to run right. It starts, but it sounds like it is out of time. it will smooth out for about 30 seconds and go back to ****. We checked the timing, the coil, replaced the spark plugs, nothing changed. No codes are popping. The exhaust smells like gas really stong and lots of white smoke/steam coming out of the tail pipe. We checked the FPR and there is nothing in the vaccuum line. We replaced the MAF and that helped a little bit but nothing really noticable. The motor was out of the truck for about 2 months. Does anyone know what the hell could be causing this?! Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

exhaust system is probably plugged up, especially the cats,, they have to clean themselves out, usually by burning up whatever is in them,,

exhaust system is probably plugged up, especially the cats,, they have to clean themselves out, usually by burning up whatever is in them,,

That would cause it to run like the timing is out and smell like a bunch of un-burned gas? We have had the motor back in for 3 weeks now and have started it god knows how many times and let it run for a few minutes at a time.

it takes a while for the exhaust to get up to temp,,

did you check all the plugs to see if they were okay, and firing okay?

yep, we have checked all the plugs and made sure that they are all firing, we have also checked to make sure that we have them in the right firing order.

I might be wrong here but it sounds to me like u might have a coolant leak into a cylinder ie the head gasket isnt seated correctly, my Ranger did the same thing when the head gasket went steam gas smell and running rough then smooth then rough

I might be wrong here but it sounds to me like u might have a coolant leak into a cylinder ie the head gasket isnt seated correctly, my Ranger did the same thing when the head gasket went steam gas smell and running rough then smooth then rough

well wouldnt that be just great. Hopefully that isnt the problem.

We got it! there was a bad seal on one of the injectors and it was leaking fuel and sucking in air. There is still a very slight miss but the plug is probably fouled and just needs to be cleaned. Thanks for the replys

Darnit, I was hoping to see some over the cliff pics.

CarCliffEPA_650x441.jpg

Back