Need Help Please. Lost on my own.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Help Please. Lost on my own....

crownshakers

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLS
Hey all! I've been looking every where online since last week for a specific type of ford screw.

It is the flatish round screw that attached the window of the liftgate to the liftgate window hinge.

My subs backed out the screw while cruisin and it fell out the car. So i looked everywhere online for the part. Honestly I really dont know crap about vehicles so I have no clue what to really call it when looking.

I've tried Ford Screws, Ford Window Screws, Ford Liftgate Screws, etc with NO LUCK AT ALL.....

Im really stressing about this because I dont want my truck to get ruined by the rain or broken into.

On another note... Could anyone walk me through taking off the panel on the lift gate?

The subs also are causing the screws to back out of the top of the truck where the liftgate it attached to the roof by a hinge. This hinge is about a half inch above the roof of the truck because of this.

ANY HELP AT ALL WOULD SO GREATLY APPRECIATED.

THANKS IN ADVANCE....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could probably get another screw at a junkyard for a nominal fee, or they could get you the right one at the dealership. To get the trim panel off of the rear hatch you'll need to remove the pull handle (2 phillips head screws) and pull it away from the hatch, it's held in with spring clips, and christmas tree clips. when you get it loose you will have to lift the rear glass to fully release the trim piece from the hatch.

Thanks techieman33 for the quick response...

Ill do that... I have been looking online and even went to the local advanced and auto zone. At both parts stores they didnt even know what I was talking about... But ill check the junkyards asap.

I appreciate it man... Thanks.

welcome crown

You might want to use locktite on all the screws you replace.
Or turn down the bass just a little....

Thanks Sams01XplrSprt.

And Thanks my98nnj lol. Yeah I am definitely gonna take out all the screws when I get the replacement and use something of that sort. I had thought about that already no doubt.

For the record, that type of bolt is usually a carriage bolt, more or less. The Ford part may have a specific dimension, coating, etc. but a standard size (metric) carriage bolt may work in its place. If you can remove one of the other ones, try fastenal or another bolt source for a replacement.

I have found Ace Hardware can resolve a whole bunch of my fastener needs. Man...they carry a lot of stuff. If they don't have something that will work, go to Ford.

Done!

Just an update I got it done. I went to the boneyard and scrapped the part off a Gen1 explorer. I dropped some high strength threadlock on the bolt then put it back together. Afterwards I unsnapped the upper part of the gates interior panel, removed the black rubber plug, then tightend the nut that was holding the bolt in. I realigned the window then fully tightend it. Afterwards I took the drivers side apart and threadlocked all that too just in case lol!

Thanks everyone for the help and advice!

I sure do appreciate it.

Back