Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Need Help Please!!! Problem with my '96 Explorer Sport

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by KoryNichols4, July 1, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. KoryNichols4

KoryNichols4 New Member

City, State:
      Forrest City, AR
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '96 sport
      I have a 1996 Ford Explorer Sport 4.0 6 cylinder. It's ran fine until yesterday morning. I got in it and it cranked, and then died. I tried it again, and it cranked and then died. Since the fuel guage doesn't work, I thought maybe it was out of gas. I put a little gas in it, and it started right up. I drove about 100 yards and it died and hasn't cranked since. I had a guy take a look at it that claims he knows a little about fixing vehicles (cause I sure don't know much) and he said fuel filter first. We put a new filter on and still no luck. He said the fuel pump was fine, and that it was getting fuel and fire. He suggested maybe that it had jumped time. Any ideas of what it could be, or if it indeed may have jumped time and how to go about fixing it?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. yavapaires

yavapaires Active Member

City, State:
      Dewey, Az
      1996 XLT
      If it died and "hasn't cranked since", I would be looking at an electrical problem first. Check the battery voltage with your handy multimeter or a volt meter. Should be around 10.5 volts or more to crank. If less than this, charge the battery, clean the cables, see what happens. I've never had a modern vehicle that would run on less than 10.5 volts. Oh, you can check the fuel pressure, should be close to 35-40 psi. I would think it would run with lower fuel pressure, but not run very well except at low speed. Hope this helps.

4. KoryNichols4

KoryNichols4 New Member

City, State:
      Forrest City, AR
      '96 sport
      Thanks for the tips, I appreciate it. I'll try those 2 things first. Interesting you said something about the battery. I guess with all the working on it yesterday and constantly trying to start the explorer, the battery died. I hooked a battery charger to it to finish working on it. It's completely dead now. I've taken the battery off of the vehicle and hooked it up to the battery charger on a slow charge to see if it will help.

5. yavapaires

yavapaires Active Member

City, State:
      Dewey, Az
      1996 XLT
      Any luck yet? Another thought, could be the crank position sensor. When you say 4.0, it is the OHV engine isn't it? If so it could be a bad timing chain I guess. How many miles? Send more info when you can.

6. KoryNichols4

KoryNichols4 New Member

City, State:
      Forrest City, AR
      '96 sport
      No luck yet. The mechanic I got to fix it for me or at least tell me what's wrong with it hasn't had a chance to check it out. He's supposed to come get it this afternoon but I have my doubts. Not sure if it's OHV engine or not. All I know is it's a 4.0L V6 EFI. I'm pretty illiterate when it comes to fixing cars and vehicle specs. I'm a little more familiar with GM vehicles. It's got about 216,000 miles. I appreciate all the help I can get.