Mike

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
West Babylon, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT v8 AWD
Hey guys.. im installing speakers in my truck.... i have the stock out right now.. but i have a blue wire with a white stripe and a red wire? what is what? ground? power? this is on the truck..... also my new speakers have a black wire and a black wire with a white stripe... agin what is what? please respond if you know.. i have my truck all appart in my driveway....

Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

come on guyts.... anyone?

The red or orange should be + (I think) and the blue the -. On the new speaker, there should be a + mark or a -mark near the terminal which it represents. Or the speaker will have a bigger and a smaller terminal on it. The bigger one is + and the smaller one is -.

Robb

I had the same problem...i just guess and pray!

It doesn't totally matter as ALL speakers are wired the same polarity.
To find the positive terminal on a speaker just take a 9 volt battery with wire leads attached. When you touch the + ( of the battery ) which ever terminal makes the speaker out ward is the postive terminal.

If you hook them up wrong worst you do is get no sound so you know you gotta switch them around! I have dont it alot...gotta pay attention to little details i guess

um............hooking up speakers backwards will not produce "no" sound. The phase will be switched backwards. Which is actually ok if you wire them all up backwards. It will sound real bad if you have some speakers out of phase with other speakers.

Robb

if i wire them wrong im not gona blow them up or anything right?>

No, you won't blow anything up. What will happen is the speaker will pull backwards when it is supposed to be pushing out. This will cause really weak bass. If you can get ahold of Ford, I'm sure they could tell you. Just tell them the model and year and they should know.

Morrisy is 100% correct !!!

However what nonameputs said is not. If all speakers are wired the same it will not effect the bass. But if any one speaker or sub is it will. I don't know about car audio crossovers , but 99% of pro sound ( concert systems ) have a phase reverse switch on the crossover it's self.

"...the SPEAKER will pull backwards..."

I was talking about only one speaker.

Come on man , do you really have to call me a name ?
Really was that nessicary ? I did not insult you , I did not call you a name , I did not do a thing to you but you take it all personal and get offended and call me a name.
Thanks man , I appriciate you.

What happend after it goes backward ? It goes forward doesn't it ? Speakers go in and out , in and out. Not just out.

Sorry, I had a really bad day and was not in the mood to be corrected. But it does matter when the speaker is pulling and when it is pushing in comparision with other subs. Not only will there be really weak bass, it could also cause extra distortion at loud volumes if you have the subs in a box where the cones are in the same sealed chamber. Because when when one is pushing and the other is pulling it is equalling out the air pressure inside the box. Part of the reason a sub in a sealed box needs more power is because the air inside the box is working against the cone. If there is no place for air to get in when the sub pushes out, it creates a vacuum inside the box, pulling the cone back to it's middle position. The same is true with the opposite when the cone is being pulled in. There is no place for air to escape so the pressure in the box pushes the cone back to it's middle position. Now when you take that vacuum and pressure away it's like when you play tug-of-war and the dother side just lets go of the rope, or are trying to push a door open with someone on the other side and then they just step away from the door. You are still pulling or pushing with all your might, but there isn't the same resistance there was before so you end up pushing or pulling too far. This could make the cones bottom out, creating distortion.

Appology accepted man , no troubs !!

Yes , you are exactally right. ( and I am not just sayin' it :) ) In conjunction with other out put transducers one being out of polarity will cause reduced sound , not just bass , but bass is far more evident.
It is what is called phase cancelation. Any sound wave
180 degreese opposite of it's own wave will result in inaudibility.
Peace

Back