Need Help w/ factory CD Changer Hook-up | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Help w/ factory CD Changer Hook-up

angelsent2thee

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Ok, I've got a 97 Explorer XLT that is CD Changer compatible. So I pulled a CD Changer from a 98-99 Explorer EB. There is no hook-up in my explorer that I can find that I could just plug up the CD Changer, ( I read somewhere that if it was compatible there should already be a harness, but I can't find one) so my question is.. where can I get a harness that doesn't cost alot!? Is there any other way around getting a harness? Is there some place that has some diagrams for me to look at also? Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Also... When looking for a harness, since I pulled the CD Changer from a different year, what year harness would I be looking for?

The harness for the changer should be the same. Cheapest route would be a junkyard to get a hold of a harness. I don't know if oem auto accessories has them on their website or not.

From what I found this weekend, The harness for the CD player is integrated into the center console harness and dash harness on factory equiped ones, or atleast on the 97 and 98 mountaineers that I looked at. I ended up cutting the ends of the harness from one of the trucks figuring that I could re-wire my own separate harness when I went to install it.

I am not sure on if there were other harnesses available though, as this is my first ford.

Back