NEED HELP with bull bar installation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

NEED HELP with bull bar installation

kgood

Reaction score
City, State
Wentzville, Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer
I'm new to the forum, love it so far.

So I bought a Westin Light Safari Bar part #30-0025 for my 2003 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6L AWD. I'm in the process of adding several things into the vehicle and this bull bar has proven itself to be the most troublesome.

The instructions state I must attach large metal attachments onto both the driver and passenger side so I can then hook up the bar itself to these extensions. They can only attach via the frame of the vehicle itself with the help of small clamps and the diagram shows I have to technically get inside of the square-shaped frame to position the clamps so I can screw the extensions on.

After 30 minutes of stretching my head and mumbling things to myself, I determined I have to remove the front bumper to access the inside area of the frame so I can't screw these mounts on; of course I don't know how to do this.

Any insight into my issue will be greatly appreciated :)

It's just a nut or two, and the bumper should swing enough to get your hardware in there. I did my tow hooks like this, one side at a time, leaving the bumper in place. YMMV

When i got my bull bar, the brackets attached to the frame just like yours. the hardware that came with the kit had a small piece of wire tack welded onto it, so i could fish it into the frame rail from the front. I took the little plastic covers out from between the bumper and the lower lip and tossed them. The hardware basically was 2 bolts welded onto a piece of square steel, spaced apart enough as to fall down through the holes in the frame rail so i could attach the nuts and secure the brackets. the little piece of wire is what helped me fish them in there.

Thanks brudi, I'll have another go at it later today and update you.

Back