Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Need help with gauge cluster!!!

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by Highlifted, June 16, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Highlifted

Highlifted New Member

City, State:
      Eastfreedom Pa
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      93 Mazda Navajo XLT
      OK i bought a set of blue light for my gauges put them in and it didn't light up blue, so i looked up that u had to scratch the green film off the back of the gauges well i did that and messed up the needles for all my gauges, lol my speedometer is super crazy says im going 85 1st gear, i think i got all my gauges really close but the speedometer, and the rpm.... please any suggestion or ideas thanks:mad::feedback:

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. LONO100

LONO100 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Bay Area CA
      03 sport trac XLT
      that sounds like a mess. how did you end up moving the needles out of place? the green film was on the outside of the gauges. how exactly did you end up throwing them off? more info on how you threw them off may yield a better solution.

4. Highlifted

Highlifted New Member

City, State:
      Eastfreedom Pa
      93 Mazda Navajo XLT
      OK this was my first time ever messing with a gauge cluster, the green film was on the back of the sheet like facing the firewall when installed, so i actually had to take the tacks off from the gauges, i found out there is like a little copper coil in there speedometer, and i tightened it the whole way now my speedometer stays on zero, pretty much i think i just need to find out how tight/loose that copper coil has to be

5. LONO100

LONO100 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Bay Area CA
      03 sport trac XLT
      wow, i wish i had an answer but im sure if you search hard enough on this forum, someone will have an answer to recalibrating those little needles. you might want to try calling ford and asking them. good luck

6. Roadrunner777

Roadrunner777 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Bemidji, MN
      94 4x4 Sport 88k
      Trial and error... Turn key on, engine off. You can set the tach and oil to zero. Fill the tank up, that lets you set full, so on and so forth.

A helpful hint: Digital pictures are basically free these days. I photograph the hell out of everything I take apart the first time.

7. Highlifted

Highlifted New Member

City, State:
      Eastfreedom Pa
      93 Mazda Navajo XLT
      i have all the needles set but the speedometer, im guessing that the copper coil has to be either just tight enough or just lose a little, but i cnt figure it out, anyway i just bought another complete 93 ford explorer, i might just rip parts off it i need and sell the rest

8. Roadrunner777

Roadrunner777 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Bemidji, MN
      94 4x4 Sport 88k
      I'm... well, as serious as you are... thinking about buying another Exp so I have one to drive while I work up the other one. Be cool if they matched.

9. Everdream

Everdream Active Member

City, State:
      Lakewood WA
      2002 Explorer Limited
      you spun the sleeve on the speedo cable as you pulled it out more than likely. good luck getting that back to correct.....

10. mr cribb

mr cribb US Army Retired Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Harviell, MO
      94 Chevy Z71, 93 X EB
      I don't have any advice other than when I swapped out my speedo, it took roughly a mile or so for it to calibrate itself.