Need help with gearing choice!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help with gearing choice!!!

Reaction score
City, State
south carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 sport
I am getting gears for christmas, and im not sure what i should get I have a 2001 explorer sport 2wd, with (325/60R18) which is pretty much 33.5/13. I have factory 3.73 gears and i was thinking either 4.10 or 4.56, i do some highway driving, and i will pull a small trailer from time to time, So please help me with choosing the right gear setup THANKS

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Personally I'd do 4.56's. I run on 33's and for me, they're just about right. However, if you have the SOHC motor, the 4.10's may work well too.

yeah sorry i forgot to include that it is the SOHC motor all stock just intake and exhaust

4.56. 4.30 can also be had for the 8.8 since yours is a 2wd, 4.30s arent an option for 4wds since they aren't made for the front axle. I wouldn't go with 4.10s.

Yeah, either 4.30 or 4.56. I'd go 4.56. Shouldn't be too bad on the highway, and it'll give you the option to go bigger without regearing again. In my opinion you won't really notice a difference if you just go to 4.10.

4.56 would be my choice. I have had 4.10s and 33s and it is a little lack luster in performance. With a tire as wide as that 4.88 might be a little extreme but it would definitely give a nice performance boost.

4.56 atleast. My sport trac came stock with 4.10's and 30" tires.
I run 33's (well probably 32.5 or less) with 4.88's, works well. The engine runs a little high on the freeway (3000rpm at 75-80). Depends on how/where you drive.
4.56 would probably be the best overall choice.

Personally I'd do 4.56's. I run on 33's and for me, they're just about right. However, if you have the SOHC motor, the 4.10's may work well too.

FYI, from my experience owning two 4.0L OHV motors and one SOHC 4.0L, the SOHC actually needs higher (numerically) gears than the OHV.
The SOHC lacks the low end grunt of the OHV, and typically needs higher revs to make decent power. It's also quieter and smoother so it can handle higher revs more comfortably. Just my opinion.

yeah ive been leaning a little more in the direction of the 4.56 because i want the most i can get without "over gearing"

4.88 I don't think would be overdoing it on the SOHC motor either.

Back