Need help with new tires, lug pattern help WITH PICTURES | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help with new tires, lug pattern help WITH PICTURES

woogyboogy

Reaction score
City, State
Southwest FL
I have a 2004 Sport Trac XLT 4x2, and I found these tires on craigslist that I really want, and would be a great deal. My tires on my ST right now are 255/70/R16, and the tires I found on craigslist are LT 285/75/R16. It says in the ad FITS 98 FORD 150 TRUCK, with 5 LUG RIMS. With 75% tread left. He wants $450 for all 4 including the wheels.

What are the chances of these tires fitting on my truck???

Here are the pictures:

1gi2p3.jpg

9k4hh1.jpg

334pzxj.jpg

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The wheels are a bigger bolt pattern and unless you have already lifted your Trac the tires won't fit either.

A simple solution would be to get wheel adapters and bolt those wheels/ tires on.

IIRC I think the F-150 rims are 5x5.5" and the ST's are 5x4.5".

or you could buy the set, mount the tires to the ST rims and sell the F-150 rims.

I might switch the rims, what kind of lift would I need for these to fit?

When I had 285's on mine I had a 3" body lift, 1.75" Torsion Twist and lift shackles. I know there are members that said they fit them on with just a 3" bodylift but had to do some serious trimming on the cladding.

Since you have a 2wd you can safely go up to a 3" torsion twist on the front and do lift shackles on the rear and you might be able to fit them on there, the hardest fitment issue is the front with the clearances to turn.

Here's a picture of mine with 285's on it, it also has 1.5" wheel spacers. And now with the 33x12.5x15 on 15x8's with 4" backspacing.

picture.php

picture.php

Those tires equate to a 33" tire.. You'll need atleast a body lift to clear them or 3" 2wd lift spindles

Any one know the Bolt pattern on a 2002 explorer?

The Sport Trac is 5-114.3mm (5-4.5") with 1/2" studs. The 98 F150 is 5-135mm with 12mm studs.

The 2002 Explorer wheel is 5-114.3 but the offset is completely different than the pre-2002 and/or '01-'05 Sport Trac.

What does "older Ford truck" in their ad mean???? If it's an F150 then no they won't fit your Trac.

Tires possibly, wheels no.

You'll need to do ateleast a TT and lift shackles or a 3" body lift to fit the 265/75/16's on your Trac. No the "older Ford rims won't fit, you can see in the picture it's an F-150, 5x5.5" bolt pattern, ST's have 5x4.5.

Back