• Register Today It's free!

need help!

bpatter

Reaction score
City, State
washington DC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 explorer xlt 4x4 4.0
I have an 03 explorer xlt 4x4 v6 . I started expieriencing whining and thumping noise from rear, initially it was most pronounced between 25 and 35 mph. as it progressed I noticed gear oil leaking very badly from rear diff. before i could get home from parts store basically went out completely - grinding noises, no reverse.... replaced diff with new one - noticed right rear axle grooves at diff were slightly sharpened and a liitle ground. installed anyway. went on test drive - everything seemed great. After about twenty miles, the whinning and thumping started agin just a little like before. could it be the axle grooves? maybe the axle cv joint? Any thoughts out there would love to hear them. Thanks - stuck in DC

can you get some pics up of the "Sharp grooved end" I am at a loss of what you are talking about.

grooves in axle

the grooves are in the end of the half axle shaft where it goes into the side of the differential. they are small grooves running parallel to the shaft that engage the gears inside the diff.

Back