Need help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

the manzo

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 ford explorer xlt
I have a 1993 Explorer and the EVR voltage is out of range ( code 335). The EVR voltage should receive between 4 to 6 volts. I tested the connector to the EVR, and it was receiving 14 volts. How can I fix this problem?

do you mean EGR?

well sort of. the EVR stands for if im not mistaken ( egr vacuum solenoid). it is the sensor for the egr valve

well sort of. the EVR stands for if im not mistaken ( egr vacuum solenoid). it is the sensor for the egr valve
Close, but not quite, which might explain your confusion.

EVR does stand for EGR Vacuum Regulator solenoid, but the EVR is not the EGR valve sensor. The EVR is the EGR system's actuator. The EVR receives a constant 12 V from the EEC relay, and is actuated by the PCM using a ground side switch. The EVR is controlled using a pulse width modulated signal to control how long it is open, and, thus, the amount of vacuum applied to the EGR valve.

The EGR system's sensor is a pressure sensor (PFE or DPFE for [Differential] Pressure Feedback EGR). The PFE/DPFE sensor is powered by the 5V vref signal generated by the PCM, and sends a signal back that is related to the pressure upstream of the EGR valve.

The EGR system operates on a fairly simple feedback loop. As the pressure (DPFE signal) increases, the computer increases the pulse width to the EVR sending more vacuum to the EGR valve, opening it, and reducing the pressure. As the pressure drops, it decreases the pulse width, closing the EGR valve, and increasing the pressure. Basically it tries to maintain a fairly constant DPFE signal at a certain value.

When you say that you are getting 14 V, I suspect you are testing at the EVR solenoid, which should be getting battery voltage. The 4-6 V you referred to would be for the PFE/DPFE sensor.

Back