need info on two inch lift alignment | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

need info on two inch lift alignment

X-1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
native Floridian
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 sport
When raising the front of the 91-94 explorer two inches I know that the shims for alignment have to be changed. My question does anyone know by how much degree? Right now the factories show 2-1/2 degrees, and raising should put more positive camber on it, making the new shim less degrees say like 2 degrees. Am I on the right track? Only reason I ask is I don't want to buy every shim out there, would rather narrow my choices down a little.
Thanks, David

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

any alignment place will be able to measure the specs on your truck after the lift....they can also give you a printout of your specs and you can tell what camber/caster bushings you will need

With out knowing exactly where the alingment is it is impossible to tell you what shim needs to be used. Do what Jim said and just take it to an alingment shop after the lift and get them to tell you what degree cams you need. Then you can go get them and have the shop do the alingment.

Okay, I will do that. I was hoping maybe there was a pattern with all those that have done this type of lift, thought maybe I could get close before alignment.
Thanks for the input.:)

You can also get adjustable camber shims.. You loosen the pinch bolt and rotate the shim to get it to the desired setting..

~Mark

Maniak,

Got any more info on those adjustable camber shims? Where can I get them?

I got my set from Car Quest.. they are made by moog.

Remember that a 2.75 degree shim is only good for 2.25 on a 4x4.. normally they post the maximum adjustment for the 4x2, not the 4x4...

If you need more than 2.25 on a 4x4 you will have to go the exact size ones.. not adjustable.

~Mark

And these go on the radius arms?

I'm putting in a Duff lift soon, what would you say the possibilities are that I won't need the shims? I think I remember people who were able to get it to spec w/o them?

The Duff Kit comes with drop brackets.. and if you have the factory bushing still in there, you most likely will need the adustable camber bushings (or at least different ones).

The Camber bushings go around the ball joints....
Caster bushings go on the end of the radius arms (they replace the radius arm bushing).

I currently have the Caster adjustment bushings as my caster has never been right on, this way I can adjust it so it doesn't pull..

~Mark

i dont know if yall know this but u do know that the camber bushing rotates right? all i did was sprayed some rust penatrent on mine and took out the 12 point 12mm bolt and then turned my bushing.....and there u go its almost dead on... .2 on the drivers side and .1 on the passanger side... both positive and set to 0..... so not to bad with stock stuff....

i just did my alignment yesterday... and i have the cams that are very high up there in degrees... the caster is almost dead on, although the right side mneeds to increase a little bit, but the camber is still 1.2 degrees per side out of spec.... there is no way to adjust it without horribly affecting the caster... i have thought of something though.... if i put f150 spacers on it, it will lift cuasing positive camber, add that to my negative camber, and my truck should sit right at spec......

Jim,
That sounds like the fuzzy logic I usedtry to justify stuff I just "want".. :)

BTW...
Caster doesn't affect tire wear, just how it steers so having the caster off isn't that bad.. (not like toe or camber)

~Mark

Back