1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Need new car Explorer?????

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by Elephant_Berls, September 17, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Elephant_Berls

Elephant_Berls Member

City, State:
      s town Louisiana
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      99 Explorer XLT4.0 ohv :(
      Right now im 16 :confused: and have a old beat up dodge pickup. The old truck has a 318 (its a 87 ram) and it drinks gas. I mean ill put 5 bucks in it (dont have license yet getting it next month) to move it around and ill start it up like 4 times just to charge the battery and itll run out of gas.

Well my mom got a 1999 ford explorer and i really like it. Its the 4.0 and it has lots of power i mean u can stomp the gas and itll pin u to the seat. Lol i ran a carfax on it after we got it and it was a rental car. The rental place autcioned it off to the ford place where we bought it used :eek: im surprised she hasnt had any problems yet. Welllll any way im looking for a new car and since i like her explorer i was thinking of getting one. They are every where and u can pick up a 92-95 around here for 3000 or so.

I was wondering what kind of problems do those older explorers have. Will they be good on gas milage? Also since im 17 i will be doing donuts hiting mud holes and probaly maxing it out on the highway. Will this car hold up for me or should i look for something else. I was orignalg thinking of a ford bronco or a Chevy 4.3 v6 s 10 blazer. WOuld one of those hold up better??? Also the most important question. Will it drink gas!!!!!! i know its efi and thats way more eficient than a dodge carb 318 but still im going to trade/tech school most of the time and ill need all the extra money i can get. I cant spend 50 dollars a day on gas. I know i will however drive this car 24/7 so whats ur opinions on thissss thanks

O also one more thing When my mom bought her explorer she gave me her old ford 88 country squire. That old car would haul ass for its size. I was wondering if later on when i get a better job i could strap that old 88 5.0 302 into whatever explorer i get and mod it out???? thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. 88vert

88vert Explorer Addict

City, State:
      clinton,iowa
      94 unlimited
      If you are looking for something to beat get a stang.The older explorers tranny will not hold up to a everyday beating:(

4. Klowns

Klowns Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Mesa, Az
      '95 XL
      I'm 19, and I had an Isuzu Trooper before I got my explorer last year. And I love SUV's. My EX is plenty fast, even now with the 35's without the 4.56's in, it's still decent. Just playing with the throttle cable, making a custom intake/exhuast will add a lot of power to an explorer. As far as maxing it out and stuff, an explorer can take it. I have had my explorer for a year or so, of course I've calmed my driving down, but I can be wild at times, and I have not had any problems with it at all, I mean literally none, besides normal wear and tear, nothing has broke, etc. Not only that since Ford Explorer is the most popular SUV around, if anything breaks on it by chance, it would take about 5 minutes to get a replacement part.

Before I lifted my EX and tires/etc, I was getting about 16-19 mpg, which is insane, compared to my Troopers 12mpg. As of now I'm only getting 8-11 cause I haven't regeared yet, prolly have it done by end of the week, though.

By the way my EX is a 95, and I have nothing but praise for the vehicle, I didn't think it was too hot when I got it, but I can say now that, it truly is a great vehicle.

5. EliteConcept

EliteConcept Well-Known Member

City, State:
      LaPorte, Indiana
      04 Civic LX
      if your planning to beat it up maybe you should rethink that first

1. If you think you can beat a car and have it run all the same , rethink that. The more you tear up a car the worse its going to run, unless that is you put hours of maintence into it or like many of the guys here modify it to be able to withstand what you throw at it. THat goes with any car or truck. Now the 91-94 explorers are known for having a weak tranny. Probably not good if your planning on doing dounts and going full throttle all the time. and for $3000 alls i think you will find are 91-94's and they will probably have high miles or a tranny that is about to go. Luckly my 92 has 122,000 on it and is going stong, but keep in mind i hardly ever beat it.

Gas milage- if you plan on going full thottle all the time plan on spending lots of money for gas. simple as that, the faster you go...the more gas you use its directly relational.

really though
      Why would you spend good money to buy a nice car only to tear the sh** out of it?! I mean would you go by new clothes and roll in the mud with them on? Probably not! Then why would you make a major investment in something then tear the crap out of it?
      take care of it then when its paid of or you want something new, maybe you can make a few bucks on your old car.

side story.
      my friend bought a 97 lumina used. Beats the crap out of it everyday.....yada yada yada hes now on his 3rd tranny.

if you buy anything take care of it or it will not last no matter what it is
      think about it

6. 88vert

88vert Explorer Addict

City, State:
      clinton,iowa
      94 unlimited
      Nicely worded Elite:D

7. 03ExplorerSPT

03ExplorerSPT Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Quincy, IL
      2003 Sport XLT Premium
      Like 88vert said if you want something to beat get a 'stang. You asked about MPG so I'll tell you. :D I have a '95 XLT with the 4.0L with 3.27 open rear. I get a constant 11 MPG in town and 20 on the highway. Hope this helps.

8. EliteConcept

EliteConcept Well-Known Member

City, State:
      LaPorte, Indiana
      04 Civic LX
      thanks 88vert

its inspired by me having to buy and pay for my own cars. I noticed if you have to do so, you are more likely to take care of it better... Not always true but i find its fairly consistant

9. Elephant_Berls

Elephant_Berls Member

City, State:
      s town Louisiana
      i would get a stang but most of the beatings will occor in the woods. I want something that i can off road with and actauly stand it.

off roader + good gas milage = happy bastard i am

I know i can pick up a 1970s blazer and put super swampers on it for 2000 or so but see ill never be able to use those super swampers becouse i wouldnt be able to keep gas in it.

A well im just gona get a early 90's toyota 4wd pickup i guess explorers are built more for soccer moms that need to have a little pull when the soccor field gets wet or something :D

10. Elephant_Berls

Elephant_Berls Member

City, State:
      s town Louisiana
      my dad bought the dodge that i have now and he beat the crap outa the old thing. He use to actualy try and blow the motor. He wanted another truck and wanted to get rid of that one. I guess he didnt want me to have it :mad: when he would be drunk he would max the truck out and wreck it all the time. He luckably never hit a tree. He would show me where he flew off the road at. Lmao he would take out peoples barbd wire fences and such. That old truck once it hit the highway it would max out and stay that way till he got to where he needed to go. Now when i start the truck and just rev it a little he jumps all over me about it. I guess he forgets all the times hes beat it up.

he also used one of his freinds ford f150's well they guy told him he was going to put another motor in it. Well i guess my dad took that as a que to destroy it. He would get up to about 120 and slamn the truck into 1 and it would redline to hell. he finaly totaled it by hitting a cop hehe cop of all people.

Toyotas can be known to take abuse too but that rellally surprised me between those 2 old trucks the 5.0 f150 and the dodge 318 (the f150 was a 96 model) but it really surprised me how much abuse it took. thats what i was thinking of getting a explorer cause i know its not too much diffrent than a f150

11. 88vert

88vert Explorer Addict

City, State:
      clinton,iowa
      94 unlimited
      I hate to say it,but you should get a old jeep CJ7 I used to have one a while back and boy could that thing take a beating:)

12. bonnich

bonnich Active Member

City, State:
      Toronto ontario
      03 1500 HEMI SLT
      I had a 91 s10 Blazer, that thing could take a beating. I would go wheeling in it and hit ruts at like 40km, run over trees, I ripped the exhaust off at the headers once going threw a river, I beat the piss out if it daily and it still would come back for more. I wish now that I still had it. The thing wouldn't die.

13. Stephen

Stephen Moderator In Memoriam Elite In Memoriam

City, State:
      Annapolis, MD
      '97 Limited
      Forgive me guys, but I am going to be an ol fuddy duddy on this one.............I know I know, but hey, I think you'll agree I hardly ever am ;)

Now, I have nothing at all against donuts, full throttle starts, high speed turns etc. You ain't my kid lol. I was young once too, and trust me, I was a holy terror. I totalled many a car. Having that desire for high speed precision driving drove me to take high performance on road and on track driving lessons at racing schools. I took my first round of classes in 1975, and take refreshers every few years now religiously. For one, its fun as hell, expensive, but fun as hell and the experience you get is worth every penny threefold. If I may say myself, it and 40 years of driving experience have made me an excellent driver (and I'm modest too ;) ).

That said, if you're gonna be young (and you are young, so what should you be, old? Plenty of time for that) do yourself a favor and DON'T do it in an SUV, especially one that is modified for offroad use. Ask any of the people here who drive modified trucks on the road and they'll tell you, you DO have to be careful. I've driven the stock Explorer (95+ with IFS) on a road track, and while it is a stable and predictable truck at the limit of its performance envelope, it can be jerky and squirrly and it can take an experienced hand to drive it aggresively. It is my experienced opinion that if you want to be a race car driver, do NOT do it in an SUV, do it in a car.

That said, what I would look to do is get something like a Mustang that will take the abuse of being driven hard on the road, and really make sure you know how to maintain it. The number one rule to being a safe aggressive driver (well, as safe as one can be) is to have your vehicle in good working order. When you've saved the cash, get an ol beater Jeep or something for the trails, and use both. I dont know how expensive insurance is in your area, but you wouldnt need a lot of coverage.

And please, do invest some time and money in some training. You'll enjoy the hell out of it, and learn how to properly handle a vehicle also. The courses like I took can cost thousands of dollars, but I know of one program called CarGuys that costs about $200, and you learn some great on road and on track skills. We enrolled my son in it and it was very impressive. It was just a one day deal.

Enjoy and be safe!

Okay, enough of the ol fogie.

14. '96explorereddiebauer

'96explorereddiebauer Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Clemmons, NC
      '06 Honda Accord EX-L
      Amen Stephen!! The father has spoken!! :p