Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Need opinions! Looking for 2nd gen Ex, Mounty, or Ranger - best powertrain combo

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by masospaghetti, June 24, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. masospaghetti

masospaghetti Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    98 XLT, OHV, 4D, 4x4, 5M
    Looking to buy a 95-2001'ish explorer, mountaineer, or ranger. Above all, the vehicle needs to be reliable, as I would be driving across the country. It also needs 4WD.

I've eliminated any vehicle with the 4.0 SOHC already because of timing chain problems. This leaves the 3.0 vulcan, 4.0 OHV, and 5.0 OHV (and possibly the 4.6?) Which is the most trouble free motor?

For transmissions, what should I look for? I've heard bad things about all of the V6 automatic transmissions, and heard that the later V8 transmissions are better - is this true? Again, reliability as a priority.

Thanks all.

2. Support EF

Special! - 2 Year Elite membership now through July 24 $20!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Paraphoe

Paraphoe Go big or go home Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Willow Grove, PA
    '97 XLT
    Go for the 5.0 Mounty/Explorer. From my understanding that is the most 'bulletproof' drivetrain.

4. masospaghetti

Media:
    City, State:
    Huntington Beach, CA
    98 XLT, OHV, 4D, 4x4, 5M
    The V8 changed transmissions at some point, right? is one significantly better than the other?

5. Brandon96

Brandon96 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Central Virginia
    '96 XLT 4.0 OHV
    No, if I'm not mistaken the 5.0 had the 4R70W throughout it's time in the Explorer/Mountaineer. IIRC it was the viscous coupling in the transfer case that was switched up in '99 which made the setup absolutely bulletproof.

Best combo in my opinion would be the '99-'01 5.0 Explorer/Mountaineer.

6. 2000StreetRod

2000StreetRod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Greenville, SC
    00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
    mechanical diode in 1998

The 1998 and later 4R70W incorporated a "Mechanical Diode" which is a significant improvement. The 1999 and later utilized a higher pressure returnless fuel system with the fuel pressure regulator in the fuel tank. PATS may also have been implemented in 1999. 2WD is more reliable than 4WD, gets better fuel economy but has less capability in snow, ice and off road.

7. masospaghetti

Media:
    City, State:
    Huntington Beach, CA
    98 XLT, OHV, 4D, 4x4, 5M
    Thanks for the replies.

If I go with the 4R55E or 5R55E, is one significantly more reliable than the other, or are they both troublesome? I heard they are notorious for a bad valve body gasket.