Need pic of what to adjust, to tighten park brake | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need pic of what to adjust, to tighten park brake

theviper90210

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
Hey could somebody, show me a pic of what i need to adjust to tighten my park brake

-THANKS

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont have a picture but if you put it in reverse, get moving a little, hit the brakes, it will self adjust.
If there is anything left.

The adjustment is similar to a spoon on a drum brake setup, look on the flange on the back of the disc brake, there is an adjustment wheel

thanks 410 still just wondering if anyones got a pic of the adjustment cuase i looked today and didnt see any wheel

Mine did not want to self adjust after I installed new E-brake shoes..I had to pop off the rubber dust plug and adjust them manually with the rear wheels off the ground!

Do a search and you will get hooked up with the pics and info!!! You have an adjuster wheel on both rear wheels!!

heh they suck! i had to replace the E-brake pads on my X, and man the hassle it was... there should be this little screw type spinny thing thats on the bottom of the brake, and that will widen or narrow the brake. you could use a flat head screw driver to turn it.

The rotors had to be off in my case (all wheel disc brakes) or im assuming so since i never looked on the inside to see if it was asjustable from there

No need to remove the rotor just to adjust the e-brake. There's a little oval rubber plug on the back of the dust shield at the bottom that pops out. Just use a little flathead screwdriver to turn the adjuster through the hole. Just make sure to put the rubber plug back in or else you'll get a bunch of road crap thrown up inside there and it could prematurely wear out the shoes.

ok i must be missing something is this dust sheild on the rear brake? do i need to take the tire off what?, WHERE is this located!

On my 2002 the rear have disc with drum parking brake. They don't self adjust. I have to remove the wheels, calipers and rotors to adjust parking brakes. 1/4 of an inch of clearance is required so parking brake does not rub. Adjusting is easy. I used a flat screw driver.

they are self adjusting f it is a disc braked 8.8 rear axle, hahaha I am not syaing it always works, I am saying that is how the system is designed. Obviously if it worked fantastic there wouldnt be a star wheel on the back!

Okay to find the adjuster, look behind the wheel. That big metal round thing is a dust cover for the disc brakes. IN the middle of it, right near the axle tube, there is a rubber plug, pull the plug and you will see the adjuster wheel, same as a drum brake.

still good to check out the parking brake pads while hes at it... mine were broken, may as well just go that extra mile and check them, that could be the problem... unless they were already checked

THANKS GUYS ill go see what i can do

OK IS IT THIS, its a rubber plug i pulled it out and i couldnt really see in there i think i saw a spring, but no adjuster?

734149_22_full.jpg

734149_23_full.jpg

IS THAT IT THE PLUG THE ARROW POINTS TO

Yes, that is the plug we're talking about. You should be able to see a spring and the adjuster, the adjuster looks like a little sprocket, if you don't see it you may want to follow Saleen SR71's advice and pull the rotor off to get a good look at everything.

ok thanks alot guys, ill give it a try tomorrow

Back