1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Need Quick 4x4 help!!!

Discussion in 'Elite Explorer 911!' started by 2L8ULUZ2, December 19, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. 2L8ULUZ2

2L8ULUZ2 New Member

City, State:
      Appalachian State University (School) (Live in Canton, NC)
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1994 Explorer Sport
      Ok my explorer has been having 4wd issues since the start of the summer and I finally got down to checking out the motor. I took it off and took it apart and cleaned it out and checked everything and it works perfectly and spins like it should. The problem is it shows that it is in 4wd by the light on the dash but it will not engage into 4wd. There was a magnetic sensor thing that was in the case too could that be the problem? I have covered everything that I have read by searching and now I am in a bad way because we are getting covered by snow here in the mountains of NC and I really need 4wd in my vehicle. Thanks for any and all help!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. TPLYNCH

TPLYNCH Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Brewster, NY
      1999 XLS
      Are you sure you lined up the brushes properly when you reinstalled it? Did you try applying power to it while installed to see if it would shift?

4. DeRocha

DeRocha NEX Vice President Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Brockton, MA
      '93 XLT 4x4
      When you press 4x4 do you hear/feel the shift motor working? Does the panel 4x4 light and the 4x4 button light come on or just the button light?

Did you install the shift motor geared selector cover correctly? You cannot just remove the cover and reinstall it (it must be reinstalled in the exact position it was before you took it off). The cover contains metal electrical fingers which need to line up with the contacts on the geared selector. If they don't the 4x4 module in the trunk will have no idea what position the T-case is in and as a safety precaution does nothing. The EDU site had the wire continuity chart to test the wiring harness and verify the geared selector cover was correctly installed.

I used a meter to verify the continuity of the wiring harness. Some wires didn't have continuity and I had to rotate the cover 1/8" clockwise to achieve it. If you don't have a meter you can install the cover to the position you marked when you took the cover off and press the 4x4 button. If nothing happens, loosen the cover and slightly rotate it 1/8" in one direction and retest. Repeat the above until it works or you've rotated the cover >1". If still nothing then return the cover to the starting position and rotate the cover the opposite way until it works.

5. Az_NavajoRob

Az_NavajoRob Member

City, State:
      Tucson, Az
      '91 Navajo
      Also, just because it says it's in 4wd, doesn't mean the front hubs have locked in. Get under your rig and turn the front driveshaft by hand. You should only be able to turn it about half a turn or so before the hubs lock. If they (or even just one of them) don't lock then that is your problem. Next, climb into your rig, fire up the engine, and push the button for 4wd (high). Now turn it off. Leave in park or, if stick, in gear and get back under it. Now turn the front driveshaft again and it should only turn a tiny bit. If it still turns independantly of the rear shaft then your transfer case is not shifting into 4wd properly, or something inside is busted.

6. agzaretzka

agzaretzka Elite - G-d Bless!

City, State:
      Kennewick, WA
      1991 EB
      Any progress?

If I remember the circuitry correctly, the computer doesn't activate the lights until it gets the proper feedback from the position sensor, so I'm sure the shift motor is fine. But as DeRocha stated, the position sensor could be mis-aligned. And if that is not the problem, then it is definitely elsewhere.

7. Natch

Natch New Member

City, State:
      Springfield, IL
      1993 Sport
      Gents,

I have a similar problem with my 1993 Explorer. The 4x4 button will light up inconsistently. When I do push the 4x4 button there are noises on the back driver side of the vehicle, but sometimes no noise is made. If the 4x4 button and 4x4 light on the dash lights up, the 4x4 does not actually engage. Any idea on what the problem maybe?

Thank you.