• Register Today It's free!

Need serious help with battery

Payton99b

Reaction score
City, State
Basin, Wyoming
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Eddie Bauer 4.0 v6
So I have a 2000 explorer. The 4 liter v6. And recently the alternator/battery duo has been a train wreck. About a month ago I replaced the alternator because the old one finally died. As soon as I put it in that's when the problems started. When I get into 2000+ rpm range the volt gauge shoots up. So I got out and seen what the battery was putting out and it was reading 17. Oh no. Alternator was putting out the same. I grounded the alternator hoping that might solve my problem.. Still the same. I really need it to get to my job but I'm not all that experienced in any of this and would really appreciate some help

Return the remanufactured alternator and try another one. They push out a lot of duds :(

I assume all your connections are good at the battery with no corrosion.

Agreed, that's a voltage regulator problem, and it's inside the alternator. Don't run the engine if you know the voltage is way off. Very low, or high, can easily cause serious damage to the computer, and lots of the electronic devices. It's best to not drive it, not start it, until the alternator has been change again.

Back