1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Need some serious help with Emergency Lights

Discussion in 'Performance Lighting' started by Government Issue, July 14, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Government Issue

Government Issue New Member

City, State:
    PA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '98 Sport
    Hey all sorry for the bother I am just completely lost when it comes to this business. I have absolutely no idea what I need. I plan on having someone else install everything; i'd just like to have it all ready for them!

I would like strobes in the front + rear so about 4 total. All this business with power supplies and such really confuses me. I have no idea what wattage I need or anything. I would like to have a nice switch panel but also have no idea what goes into that..

I am sure this has been asked a thousand times but I couldn't find a thread with a direct answer.

In summary: what do I need to install four strobes (front and back) and have a nice switch on the back

Again I am not asking how to install; just what is needed. Could someone post links to this stuff? It'd be much appreciated!

I will make you all a deal; post this and I will put a registry shortly after haha. Thanks guys.

EDIT: http://www.sirennet.com/90wstrobkitm.html would this be sufficient?

how about this? http://www.amazon.com/LEDGLOWs-Automotive-4pc-Xenon-Strobe/dp/B0018BKIUM

Doesn't have to be anything too fancy. Just for basic traffic control.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Blee1099

Blee1099 Evil Asian EF Vendor Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Elkridge, MD
    Get a Sho-me, Whelen or quality manufacturer hide away strobe kit and install it. To be honest 4 isn't enough, I'd get atleast 4 in the front and 4 in the rear.. LIke in the corners and headlight housings and rear brake and maybe reverse ones. You can install a switch box.. Try sites like www.lshlights.com or www.galls.com

4. KPPCExplorer

KPPCExplorer Active Member

City, State:
    Kings Park, New York
    2002 XLT V6
    The first link you posted would be good, but the second one on Amazon is crap.

If you want comparable to Whelen quality and not as much cost, consider SpeedTech. I use nothing but SpeedTech on my Explorer, and they have never done me wrong.
    https://www.speedtechlights.com/product_detail.php?iid=3&catid=9&id=1506
    Those will be a TINY bit less bright than the Whelen, but comes with all the necessary wiring and switches that you need. The kit you posted would still need a switch, along with some other wiring.

If you're looking for colored strobes, they do make LED strobe lights that are available in colors, but they won't be nearly as bright as the traditional strobes.

5. YBCold

YBCold Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Las Vegas NV
    91 ×∟┬
    relays, switches, a fuse box. i would go 12 guage wires. and conduit tubing. and some fuses for the fuse box.

6. Government Issue

Government Issue New Member

City, State:
    PA
    '98 Sport
    Perfection! I ordered from STL; very excited! Thanks!