Need to know where my engine was made | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need to know where my engine was made

Reaction score
City, State
Ridgefield CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 02 XLT 4x4
I need to know where my engine was made. by this i mean was it made in Windsor, Ohio or Rameo, MI its a 2002 ford explorer xlt 16 Valve V-8 i may need to replace my engine now im sure some of you think that there is really no differance where it is made but there is a major differance see
Until 1999, all car engines were produced at the Romeo plant. In the mustangs were produced in windsor. Then production was moved back to Romeo in 2001. Most truck engines are from the Windsor plant, however there are many later model trucks with Romeo engines. I have a 2002 so i think it may be Romeo. as it is traditional in Ford practice, as engine design is revised over time and compatibility with previous versions is considered low priority, so that parts from a modular engine made in one model year are not necessarily likely to fit an engine made in another; and parts from an engine manufactured in Romeo are unlikely to fit an engine made in Windsor.The Romeo and Windsor plants have different designs for main bearings, heads (cam caps), camshaft gears (press-on vs. bolt on), valve covers (number of bolts), crankshaft (number of flywheel bolts), and cross bolt fasteners for main bearing caps. and i only want a direct swap i dont want to have to change anything else so if i could get a little help here as to how i can figure out weather shes made in Windsor or Romeo It would be great. Thanks

I don't know. I do know that the V6s SOHC were produce in Cologne, Germany. Don't know about the V8s though. Sorry.

okay well i have found out that my truck engine was made in romeo now my question is gotta replace the engine i have now does it need to be an engine made in romeo? or can it be a windsor? The engine i have now has a great amount of pickup and has a great V-8 noise with it do all the 4.6L V-8 explorers? or was mine set up a specific way? So going back to my inital question does it gotta be a romeo and is it harder to find?

So you know the Windsor was made in Windsor Ontario Canada.

There are a lot more Romeo engines out there than Windsor engines. I saw just the otherday where Romeo had shipped their 10 millionth engine.

The Windsor was last used in the mid '90s. I would sugest you stick with a Romeo as there are more flywheel/crankshft bolts in the Windsor than the Romeo.

Heads between the two are not interchangeable either.

Here are two articles that haelp explain the differences

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Article/2190/peras_core_corner.aspx

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Art...st_update_on_the_great_ford_46l_cover_up.aspx

Back