• Register Today It's free!

Mike_exploder

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Xlt Control trac 4wd
97 4wd explorer 4.0 sohc v6

after digging around with the search shovel, I couldn't quite find exactly what I need to know. the main thing is I don't have and codes for the issue. so here's the poop:

Flashing Od light halfway from Orlando to Daytona (doing bout 60-80 mph for about 25-30 mins 2.5-3k rpm), No drivetrain codes other than intake stuff drawn. Pulling off I-4 or 95 I feel it jerking from gear to gear and Od still flashing. Stops after I let it set for a few hours, still flashing till about a few mins of driving then it goes away and shifts normally. (this is the only rare drive I take that is long enough for it to happen)

Replaced the transmission range control sensor from a U-pull-n-pay lot ($6 haha maybe should have pulled more), the contact points were rust free and still it does this, so don't know if that sensor is bad and is the issue or something else. (was told to replace this or check the contact points, in the old one it was still good looking, so I swapped them just to see)

Tranny fluid level is good, still looks good. I can drive around town no issue, seems at sustained speed for a period of time results in the flashing Od.

Could I have a pulled another sensor with same issue as the original? Something torque convertor/over heating related?

Need more info? let me know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need to get the codes read, when the TCIL flashes like that you have a code stored as a result. DIY level scanners will not read Ford transmission codes.

Most likely it is torque converter clutch related.

that's what I was thinking. Now will they only be able to pull the codes when I have the symptoms? I have the check engine light on, but that's before I have the issue, only after a while does the overdrive off light start to flash....

i would think that unless you clear the codes, they will remain stored whether the light is on or not.

Yah, so I guess I have to find a good reader or dealer... T_T haha

i would think that unless you clear the codes, they will remain stored whether the light is on or not.
Correct, Koda...when I went in to get a read off of my former employer's SnapOn SOLUS Pro, there was even a code stored for the hood being unlatched. I was waiting for a hood release cable to come in from Fast Part Network, as it was damged in the fire.

So went to advanced just a min ago from a visit to a friends house, my 'splorer wasn't giving me the Od light problem like I described, but their reader didn't pull up any transmission codes.... Does it really have to be dealer?

Advanced readers get basic codes but not deep stuff like tranny codes. Unfortunately dealer or well equipped indy mechanic for trans stuff. Probably about $90.00 for diagnostics

Back