Need winter/snow advice and potentially tires | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need winter/snow advice and potentially tires

So we just purchased a 2017 Sport Explorer.

We live in the SF bay area and have also just bought a place in Kirkwood to go skiing. We plan on going up probably 10-15 times in the winter, sometimes almost every weekend.

I know that the route we travel, 88, often has snow and is even closed frequently.

Needless to say my research was a little lacking and I found out you can't really put chains on the 20" wheels. So I need the best and safest way to get to Kirkwood with the Explorer.

So what should I actually have/need or should I say, what should be my long term plan be?

1. Stock tires (the Hankooks) + some kind of snow chain (that I don't know about that can fit on 20" rims) as backup?
2. New tires (some other all weather) on the stock 20" rims + some kind of snow chain (that I don't know about that can fit on 20" rims) as backup?
3. A dedicated set of snow tires on 18" rims and a set of snow chains as backup?

I believe the law says that in R2 conditions 4WD are ok with snow tires. So does that mean they actually check to see what tires you have? And I'm assuming the AW OEM tires won't qualify as that and I've also read they just aren't that good in snow?

And R3 condition says even 4wd must have chains installed.

Please help, I have already done lots of reading and have lots of conflicting answers/reports/input.
The other consideration is the vehicle will get lots of mileage in the summer/year round, we are expected 20k per year.

Thanks,
Brian

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

THULE XG-12 Pro 265 chains have been reported to fit on the stock 20 inch tires. If it was me I'd go with option 3 for more clearance.

THULE XG-12 Pro 265 chains have been reported to fit on the stock 20 inch tires. If it was me I'd go with option 3 for more clearance.
I actually ordered the Thule/Konig ksummit since they were said to fit and wouldn't interfere on the backside where the clearance with the brake lines is small.

Then I realized why pay $550 for a set of chains I may rarely if ever benefit from when I can pay $1500 and get benefit from the tires everytime they touch the snow/ice.

I'm leaving towards 18" rims and the Nokian WRG3s (as opposed to the Hakka R2s) because I will be doing a lot of dry pavement driving during the week and on the way to the snow

Hey Brian,

Have you executed your plan? How is it working out?

I was debating chains or snow tires. We don't travel to the snow as often but it's a convenience issue for me. It seems easier to have the snow tires on 3-4 months a year...This could also help me stretch my stock tires out to the end of my lease.

Thanks

Pry will get no response. He last logged in May 5, 2017...

Pry will get no response. He last logged in May 5, 2017...
Thanks, I saw Feb and thought it was current...my brain hasn't rolled over yet lol.

Back