New 1st Gen Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New 1st Gen Explorer

ovrlndr

Reaction score
City, State
NS
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hi, I just acquired a 1992 Explorer XLT to use as a wheeler / camper / exploration rig.
I previously ran a gen 1.5 Xterra, which after wearing out the frontend, I SAS'd it with a '79 Bronco front and 8.8 rear. Now own a 1985 Suzuki Samurai with 1.6 8v TBI, 5.13s on 33's as my weekend warrior.
The Zuk is incredibly capable, cheap and easy to work on, but it's also ruining my back, it's noisy, uncomfortable, sketchy on the road and restricted to local trails as the 5.13's are miserable on the highway.
Overall plan is to replace the Zuk.....IF I can let it go.

So onto the Explorer. It was cheap and it's in overall reasonable condition. Being a Nova Scotia truck it's seen it's fair share of salt and bodywork repairs.
Previous owner was a kid and he started collecting parts to repair it, and made some ****ty repairs to it.

Right now it needs;
The radiator was replaced, so I need to double check the hoses.
Needs a drivers side manifold and some exhaust work.
It's got a killer transmission leak. The whole underside of the pan is wet and it looks like rubber hoses were used on it. I'm hoping the PO just got cheap and replaced the lines with leaky hose. If not, maybe the pan seal was replaced and he over tightened it?
Body mounts - all of them look 27 years old and the body is sat on the frame.

Once all the service items are sorted, the plan is a super mild build - put some 33x10.50's under it, maybe build some sliders, maybe build a winch bumper...and that is it!

So to the 1st dilemma - the body mounts need replacing, so do I use stock mounts or 3 inch lift mounts. Lift mounts might get me to up enough to fit 33's without the expense of a suspension lift.

20190309_134053.jpg
20190310_172610.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to EF.

At some point, someone proudly rolled off the sales lot with that interior :cool:

I’d be surprised if a 3” body lift for you 33’s without trimming, but perhaps the 10.50 width will work.

Add regearing the axles to your list, or your weak and aged transmission will meet a swift death.

_murder scene up in there.

welcome.

If you do the body lift, go ahead and go for the shackle lift and coil spacer lift. This will add another 2” of lift for $200. You can run 33x12.50 with a combined lift of 5”.

Thanks fellas, some good info there :)

Welcome to the forum!!!
Interested to see the evolution of your build...

Thanks.
I've fixed most gremlins and started gathering parts for a SAS. I've got a 9 inch with a 74-ish D44 with drums and 4.56 gears. But I'm stalled whilst I source disk brake parts.
So, to get me wheeling I've bought a Daystar 2 inch spacer and 3 inch body lift so I can fit some 33x10.50 KM2's

Back