Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

New Accumulator??? '97 Exploder

Discussion in 'A/C & Heater systems - HVAC' started by IsaacJB97, May 19, 2017.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. IsaacJB97

IsaacJB97 New Member

City, State:
    Wylie, TX
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1997 Explorer xlt 5.0
    Gentlemen,
    Let me preface all this by saying that I'm not a mechanic or tech so bear with me, please.
    About 10 or so days ago my air stopped blowing cold. It took a few days to go from cold to warm but nonetheless, it eventually happened.
    Naturally, being cheap and always inclined to do my own work on everything despite my lack of knowledge, I hopped on here and learned a few things.
    My first step in diagnosis wasn't a diagnostic at all. I went to take the low side cap off the port and it shot off like a rocket!! (I learned later, on this site, that it's probably a check valve.) So on to the next step. I also learned here that I needed to jumper the compressor clutch from the pins in the WOT Relay. The clutch engaged and the air was blowing cold! Ok so the compressor is good. I got a new relay and stuck it in while I was at it. No luck. The clutch won't engage.
    Soooo I've said all that to say, I guess I could spend the time checking the low and high side switches to see if they're bad , but I've decided to spend the $30-40 and put a new accumulator on. If nothing else, only because the high pressure keeps violently blowing the cap on the low side off.
    Is there anything I should be looking for/checking while I have the accumulator off?
    Thanks in advance!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. SoHK_alumni

SoHK_alumni Active Member

City, State:
    Tampa, FL
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    5.0 V8 2002 Ranger
    Sounds like the service valve is leaking and needs to be replaced.

Because of the leak, likely is low on freon and the low pressure switch is shutting down the compressor. But, if it does blow COLD with low pressure switch bypassed, might be a bad switch.

Low pressure switch can be easily replaced with the freon still in system.

Service valves can be replaced with special tool with freon in system else the freon must be recovered, the valves changed, system evacuated and recharged.

Nothing you've noted suggests the accumulator needs to be replaced.