1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

New B here, and need to know some stuff...

Discussion in 'Modified Explorations!!' started by Nine-90, December 28, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Nine-90

Nine-90 New Member

City, State:
      CT
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      94 Eddie Bauer
      ok, so tomrrow morning i go pick up my 94 Eddie Bauer...
      what i need to know is the possibilities of swapping a 302 into it(w/ single turbo set-up) or quite possible a GM *thyphoon/cyclone setup*... now very unfamiliar with this truck, but need a decent delivery truck for the signshop and vehicle performance engineering company i own... something snazzy other than my company track car...
      please no flamming i am asking serious questions w/ the outcome of hopefully some serious answers...

-Dan
      Nine-90 Performance Engineering

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. jimbo74

jimbo74 Elite Exploder Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Nor*Cal
      2001, F150, XLT 4x4
      a turbo is going to be a pain in the butt, and im not trying t obe a jerk... i hope your knowledge of engine swaps is extensive, there is a lot of stuff. the 302 has been doen by some mebers, its not an easy bolt in swap however. i dont necessarily dislike the gm typhoon platform, however to put it into an explroer seems liek a waste, just leave the typhoon drivetrain in the typhoon.... welcome to the site, and do a search for something along the lines of engine swap

4. the_tool_man

the_tool_man Active Member

City, State:
      Spartanburg, SC
      '01 Sport 4x4
      Hi Dan:

If you want to put a V8 in it, and go to AWD (like the Typhoon/Syclone), you might want to consider just buying a 2nd generation Explorer with a V8 and AWD already installed from the factory. The 1st generation Explorers can have a V8 swapped in, but they weren't designed for it, so a lot of custom stuff has to be done. The early 2nd gens don't cost much more than a '94, and the elimination of all that fabrication work will probably more than offset the cost difference anyway. Once you have one with the 302, you could always build up the engine with heads, cam, stroker kit, etc. You could even put on a supercharger as long as you're willing to beef up the transmission and transfer case a bit. Turbos would be considerably more difficult.

Let us know what you decide.

P.S. - the GMC Typhoon/Syclone used a turbocharged V6, not a V8.

Regards,
      John.

5. Nine-90

Nine-90 New Member

City, State:
      CT
      94 Eddie Bauer
      Toolman i know the thyphoon is a six, which is what my explorer is... im assuming space wouldnt be an issue, its just getting the drivetrain along...this is my major concern, although it would also be a concern with a 302... swapping motors is no issue, you know people say that the sr20det motor is a direct swap-in for the years of the chassis, but let me tell you, going from automatic KA to manual SR is no laughing matter, alot of drivetrain issues had to be addressed... so when it comes down to modifying and fabricating, well its what i do for a living... but regardless... still bating on the 8 or the six... anyone want to give me a heads up ?

6. the_tool_man

the_tool_man Active Member

City, State:
      Spartanburg, SC
      '01 Sport 4x4
      Hi Dan:

Well, if it were a matter of picking the best drivetrain for your use (decent delivery truck), I would think torque and overall drivability are more important than maximum peak HP. That being the case, a mildly-built V8 seems a more logical choice than a turbocharged V6. I'll let others with more experience with the V8 AWD drivetrain speak to its durability, but I would think it would hold up without much modification as long as you don't go too wild. Either way, it sounds like an interesting project. Good luck.

Regards,
      John.

7. 97BlackX5.0

97BlackX5.0 Active Member

City, State:
      Scipio, Indiana
      97 X XLT AWD
      just a small question here... for a delivery vehicle.... whats wrong with it stock... i mean its gonna see alot of hard use. If you want v8 power... then buy a 96-99 with the V8 in it and All wheel drive... they hold up really well and there are tons of small mods for it as im sure you know... other than that for a work delivery vehicle why would you need a turbo... i mean unless your need to go mach1 down the highway to get something delivered in a hurry the stock drivetrain with the v6 would even be sufficient... not trying to flame but confused as to why someone would want to make a delivery vehicle have more power than it needs to get the job done...

8. Doug

Doug I'm Awesome! Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Sykesville, MD
      Not many people have undertaken the task of swapping in a motor from a manufacturer other than ford. To drop in a turbo charged v6 or a turbocharged v8 will be a large undertaking and will require a lot of researching on your part. search on yahoo for motor swap or v8 swap and you'll find out alot.

9. Crankcase

Crankcase Moderator Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Vancouver B.C, Canada
      1992 XL Ex-Police
      Be prepared to lose/move the A/C , and move the Radiator.....