1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

New Battery/Alternator NO AMPS????

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by chris chick, September 17, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. chris chick

chris chick New Member

City, State:
      mansfield, MA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      93 XLT
      Just installed fresh battery and new alternator. Problem is amps read the same with the alternator as it did running on the battery alone. Battery dash light on, and amps read a tick above 8. Is there a fuse to replace when the alternator goes???? If so, where the hell is it????

Any help greatly appreciated!!!!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. yob_yeknom

yob_yeknom Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Glade Hill, Virginia
      '97 XLT & '06 Limited
      The battery cables can also go bad. They usually go bad from the inside out, so you can't always tell by looking at them.
      Considering your truck is almost 10 years old, you might want to change them for preventitive maintenance/peace of mind.

4. B94Sport

B94Sport Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Geneva, IL
      05 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
      I second the battery cable recommendation. I had a similar problem to what you are describing, but mine was caused by insufficient tension in the drive belt (the alternator did not spin fast enough). While troubleshooting that problem, I checked my battery cables and the resistance in the positive cable was some ungodly high number. I decided to pull out all of the wiring and I replaced it with 1/0 gauge and 8 gauge. That made a HUGE difference.