New Battery/Alternator NO AMPS???? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Battery/Alternator NO AMPS????

chris chick

Reaction score
City, State
mansfield, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
Just installed fresh battery and new alternator. Problem is amps read the same with the alternator as it did running on the battery alone. Battery dash light on, and amps read a tick above 8. Is there a fuse to replace when the alternator goes???? If so, where the hell is it????

Any help greatly appreciated!!!!

The battery cables can also go bad. They usually go bad from the inside out, so you can't always tell by looking at them.
Considering your truck is almost 10 years old, you might want to change them for preventitive maintenance/peace of mind.

I second the battery cable recommendation. I had a similar problem to what you are describing, but mine was caused by insufficient tension in the drive belt (the alternator did not spin fast enough). While troubleshooting that problem, I checked my battery cables and the resistance in the positive cable was some ungodly high number. I decided to pull out all of the wiring and I replaced it with 1/0 gauge and 8 gauge. That made a HUGE difference.

Back