New battery & doesn't start unless jumped. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New battery & doesn't start unless jumped.

JauntyB

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ranger STX v6 4.0l
Hi all,

So a few days ago, I went to start my truck ('92 ranger stx), lights came on and only heard a rapid clicking. The truck had been sitting for about 3 days with no previous starting issues like this. Next day, I check the battery with a multimeter and got a reading of ~12.6v. This time when I tried to start it, no lights, no clicking. With the help of a friend, I jumped it successfully with a charge pack. He suggested I replace the battery (didn't notice it was 10 yrs old, it came with it when I bought it 3-4 yrs ago). Followed his advice, started right up.

Cue to yesterday: back to no lights, no response, and the battery reads ~12.6v. Friend comes back over and it jumpstarts again. Ran it for a few minutes, shut it off and tried to start without a jump. No dice.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for any assistance,
JB

Welcome to this forum! Your thread was moved into the Ranger section. Check the battery cables & terminals. A bad connection to the battery because of old cables or terminals will cause intermittent power issues.

Check all your wiring for corrosion, especially the positive and negative battery cables, make sure your battery terminals are in good condition, check all your ground connections, make sure you have all your ground connections, and that they are clean and tight.

Back