New bearings, new pads, and still making a weird sound | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New bearings, new pads, and still making a weird sound

Punjab

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Limited
I had been hearing a weird, VERY faint "waaaah waaah waaaah" sound only while braking from 30mph to 15mph and nothing otherwise. Brakes felt fine and I could never feel anything in the pedal.
Unrelated, a mechanic told me I needed new wheel bearings during a "30 point check" so I replaced them myself about 300-400 miles ago. New races pressed into the discs and matching bearings on both sides. It was my first time replacing wheel bearings but I was confident in how they looked after packing them and getting everything buttoned up seemed to go smooth.

...still hearing the same sound. No better, no worse.

So today I popped the calipers off and replaced my brake pads and hardware with some top quality ceramics from the local Autozone. I figured maybe there was something moving and the passenger side didn't have a rattle clip so I don't know.

Anyway, the noise did not change. It still exists while braking from around 30 to 15 miles per hour. I never hear it during acceleration in that range or at higher speeds. I do hear it at the same speed while turning, especially right, somewhat to the left.

Could it be the driveshaft U-joint needing replaced? What does that sound/feel like?
I generally hear the sound out of my right ear and suspected my passenger side front wheel but I can't find anything glaringly obvious to fix.

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My first bit of advice, would be to lay off the whammy bar on your Floyd Rose. It's a common source of 'waaaah waaah waaaah'

When you accelerate, weight shifts to the rear, the opposite when you brake. This is probably why you only get it when braking.

I have no specific advice, just wanted to use Floyd Rose in a sentence.

Perhaps lift up the front end and check the ball joints for play.

Slide pins lubed good when you did the pads?

Maybe swap the front tires side to side, and see if the noise follows?

That's all I got...

Thanks for the replies and the Floyd Rose whammy bar reference!

Yeah, I greased the pins for the new pads. I'm also at a loss. Other areas of the front end could use a refresh for sure. I have no idea when the last time the ball joints and tie rod ends were replaced. They are possibly still factory.

It's a repetitive type of sound which is what leads me to think it's a rotating part.
Maybe I can capture it in a video tomorrow.

Do you still have the automatic locking hubs?

Also, is there a chance your tires could be the culprit? Sometimes when they wear unevenly they can cause the same type of noises.

I switched to manual hubs a while ago. Having 4 wheel drive again has been really nice.

I'll try switching the tires from one side to the other today and see if it changes anything.

Could be your rotors too! Ive warped mine unknowingly, a very slight, weird pulsation in pedal was the only clue

I had tires that sounded odd to me. I replaced those and had no more weird sounds. I would lift up the front of your truck and check for play in the wheels. Side to side, up and down. My Ex was a noisy creature too. I didn't worry much, because the front end was gone over extensively during a head gasket repair.

Even the backing plates for the rotors could get bent and cause a rubbing sound.

ABS pick-up rubbing slightly on the signal ring... .

Do NOT use a hammer to "adjust" the sensor position.

I have had several "new" rotors from the autoparts store not have the tone ring pressed on properly and rubbed the sensor. Had to keep swapping till I finally got pissed and bought the Bosch rotors.

The axle end u-joints could make a sound like you're describing, if you're not certain they're good it's worth a look for sure. Check the center joint too if you have a TTB.

Back