• Register Today It's free!

New Brake squeaking and grinding

Rolls1957

Reaction score
City, State
Denver colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer 6 4x4
1999 Ford Explorer. I changed the front brakes because I heard a squeaking and grinding noise. I bought from Napa set of ceramic brakes top of the line. I am having the same problem which is on the driver side and still having the same problem. I have changed out brakes on all my cars and trucks for many years and never had this happen. I need help?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just changed mine as well and started to get a bad sequel on the driver side front. Turns out that I bent the dust shield when I took off the tire. You might want to see if you done the same.

As for the grinding....is it doing it all the time or under braking?

I just changed mine as well and started to get a bad sequel on the driver side front. Turns out that I bent the dust shield when I took off the tire. You might want to see if you done the same.

Thanks for your reply. I will first thing in the morning and check my dust shield. As for the grinding and screeching which is the reason I changed the brakes it does the most when I apply the brakes.
Thanks again

When you say the grinding noise happens the most under braking....i assume it's always happening? If so, I would say bearing. Does it get quieter when you make a turn?

My first thought is hub assembly bearing, but I once had a horrible grinding noise on my 2000 Mountaineer after installing new front ceramic pads and new anti-rattle clips. It was fine until the rotor heated up and expanded. Turned out that an anti-rattle clip was very slightly off-center and it would drag on the edge of the hot rotor. It left no marks on the rotor or the clip, but it sure made a hell of a noise. As said, check your dust shield too.

Brake squeaking/squeal is typically caused by the lack of using sticky stuff on the backs of the pad shims, but more expensive ceramic pads usually come with a rubberized coating on the shim, which doesn't require the use of stick stuff.

When you say the grinding noise happens the most under braking....i assume it's always happening? If so, I would say bearing. Does it get quieter when you make a turn?

I was thinking that might be a possibility but If I get enough ideas and take it apart one time and check it all as I am disabled and the weather is changing again so will need to wait till it gets better. Thanks for your response

My first thought is hub assembly bearing, but I once had a horrible grinding noise on my 2000 Mountaineer after installing new front ceramic pads and new anti-rattle clips. It was fine until the rotor heated up and expanded. Turned out that an anti-rattle clip was very slightly off-center and it would drag on the edge of the hot rotor. It left no marks on the rotor or the clip, but it sure made a hell of a noise. As said, check your dust shield too.

Brake squeaking/squeal is typically caused by the lack of using sticky stuff on the backs of the pad shims, but more expensive ceramic pads usually come with a rubberized coating on the shim, which doesn't require the use of stick stuff.
This is another great idea I did check the clips because that was my first thought but I am going to check them again thank you for your response Thanks for your response.

Just a thought, but is your parking brake working properly? As most have found, outside vehicle noises can be very difficult to pinpoint at times, especially squeaks and rattles. These trucks have known issues with parking brake shoes separating or seizing , especially if they're not used. Is it rotational noise that changes with speed?

I was also thinking may bleed my brakes to but I did not need to open it up was able to push the cylinders which had two small ones so maybe just bled them any way. Thanks again

I never noticed it when I am turning but I will pay attention to that when I drive it next time Thanks for your reply

I'm all for flushing/changing your brake fluid (you should do this every 2-3 years) because it absorbs moisture from the atmosphere over time and this lowers the fluid's boiling point, but your noise is not due to old brake fluid or your brake system needing to be bled. If you do bleed/flush your brake fluid be careful not to let the master cylinder run dry. If you do you'll have a hell of a time getting your system bled of air because of the ABS pump. There are tricks to getting around this, but special equipment may be required. Best to just avoid this.

Tip: Make sure your brake caliper bracket bolts and caliper bolts are torques to spec and to use blue thread locker.

Back