1. Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

new compressor needed ?

Discussion in 'A/C & Heater systems - HVAC' started by railman, May 25, 2006.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. railman

railman Active Member

City, State:
    Madisonville, KY
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    96 xlt Supercab
    well, first off the compressor was not coming on, o i thought the refrigerant level was "low" enough to need a little charge so the pressure switch would activate the clutch.

so i hook up my el-cheapo hose/gauge and can of 134A....

after a minute the compressor clutch kicks in and the gauge comes up to the "green" charge indicator....

but, there is still only hot air coming out of my vents....so i bite the bullet and take it to my local shop that i trust.

well, my shop guy hooks up his unit and recovers from the system to a 30 pound vacuum, and then shuts it off to see if it will hold the vacuum.

after it holds the vacuum for a while he starts to charge the system.... well once it is charged enough we start up the engine and the low side jumps up to the 100-120 psi range and the high side is in the same ballpark ( basically equalized )

now my shop guy seems puzzled and is honest in saying that he just normally charges vehicles but never does much on the "hard" side of A/C ( like replacing the compressors et al ) hence why i like the place ( honesty when you are not sure and say you aren't goes a long way in my book )

so, is this a case of a bad compressor, which i would put on myself and have him charge back up, or something else entirely?

sorry for the long post, just wanted to put out as much info on this as i can

thanx for the help in advance, John :cool:

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Glacier991

Glacier991 EF Tranny Guru Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Sacramento, CA 95827
    1992 XLT
    Generally you have described a system with a failed compressor or in an extremely rare case, a blown out or stuck wide open orifice tube.

4. 96 Explorer

96 Explorer New Member

City, State:
    Alta, UT
    96 Explorer XLT 5.0
    If you need a "kit", I highly suggest ebay from the user name carcompressors. It cost $235 (OEM Version) and included KIT INCLUDES NEW COMPRESSOR FILLED WITH ULTRA PAG OIL, NEW ACCUMULATOR/DRIER, NEW EXPANSION VALVE/ ORIFICE TUBE AND ALL ORINGS.

Just had it installed this week and works awesome.

No affiation to the ebay seller, just a happy customer.