new door striker bushings, now door ajar light on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

new door striker bushings, now door ajar light on

Clutchless1995

Reaction score
City, State
Alexandria, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
I got the 4 gray bushings off ebay that are supposed to be a perfect fit. However after I got them on my door ajar light will not go out. I removed them all, then just installed one on the drivers door. Got door ajar light again. I had marked the latch position with a marker so it was in the exact position. I tried moving it in then out and no difference. I removed the bushing. I though the bushings appeared thicker than the one worn out bushing I had remaining on a door. Could that be the problem. I searched and saw a post that someone used PVC hose instead with good results. Maybe the hose would be thinner than the bushings and allow the light to go out?

it sounds like the bushings you purchased are too thick and don't allow the bear claw latch to completely close around them.

I had the Dorman ones pizza some others from ebay. All were the same size. I think they may work on the tailgate. I just bought some 5/8 x 1/2 black vinyl tubing to use as replacement bushings per another post found on searching. It appears to have a smaller outer diameter than the bushings pizza should work without triggering the light. I will install them after my local gas station repair shop is done replacing the rusted out brake line for the left rear caliper. Then time to put this old Explorer on Craiglist.

Why does the word pizza get inserted into posts on this forum?

Back