• Register Today It's free!

new Exploder

Captain AirTime

Reaction score
City, State
Campbell River BC Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
Just an introduction for myself and my latest ride.
Just got a 92 4dr XLT cheap with a bad 200K mile motor. Picked up a cheap '94 motor for it, and we'll go on from there. For a '92, it is in excellent condition cosmetically.

This will be a daily driver, so right now, my thoughts for it are this:
700R4 NV241 (or keep the 1354, we'll see $)
4.10 True Tracs, or an Electrac in the rear
rear disc
custom 3" lift, D44 knuckles, shooting for about 14-16" good wheel travel.
maybe bilstiens, maybe even coilovers, we'll have to wait and see. I love TTB's!
maybe 1" body lift if I need it to clear 33x10.50 BFG's.

Current dailydriver/bike hauler:
88SC Ranger,
Explorer dash, 4.0L, 8.8, D35 3.73
D44 knuckles, dual transfercases,
major fender cutting, 33x10.50 BFG MT (my favorite daily driver tires!)

Past:
77 Bronco(locked, 35's, etc), F100's, Suzuki's, B2, Rangers(2.0L,2.3L,2.3T,4.0L,5.0L), lots of cars, bikes, etc. The only real mistake was that I once bought a front wheel drive car. Not sure what I was thinking, but I had just rolled/totalled the Bronco, and wasn't all there :D

Current Long Term Project:
'89 sidkick, 2.4L Nissan DOHC
Mustang T5, Dual BW1350's,
Toy 8" rear axle, 4.56 Elocker
Supra rear 7.5" front diff, centered, TAD undecided, OEM LS is there for now.
33x12.50 Yokohama Geolandar MT's on 15x7 Toy alloy's.
Sway A Way coilovers all around,
SAW Air/Hydraulic bumpstops all around.
custom 16"+ front SLA wheel travel, 930 CV's, Toy outers/knuckles.
17"+ rear travel, 4 link.
90" wheelbase, 60" track width, 16" belly pan clearance, <2500LB goal.

Quite a way to go on it, but the expensive parts are done, and the drivetrain is all fitted together. Suspension is mocked up ready to procede. Now to get some work done, and finish being $500 to death.

I like to go fast, and bash around on really rough roads, sand dunes,snow etc. Rock crawling is fun, but the sport has advanced to the point where its no longer compatible with a go-fast daily driver, and I'm not interested in towing to trails or compromising my general use any further. BTDT, and I can do most everything *I* want on 33's with good suspension and a heavy foot ;-)
The body damage sport is behind me, and 4 doors w/ AC is now a reality!

Erik

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site, lets see some pics ;)

ExplorerSportNu said:
Welcome to the site, lets see some pics ;)

right now it looks like every other first gen Explorer with P235's :D

Tonight I got the hideous 50 pound steel running boards off tho, so its a little better. Now at least I can get under it and get on with the motor swap.

Welcome to the site :). Sounds like you have/had some pretty nice trucks!

Welcome to the site.

I currently drive a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport 4x2.

I got dual chamber 2 flowmasters but I wanna do more mods to it.

Welcome to the site! The projects sound like a lot of fun. Look fwd to seeing and hearing some more.

What did you use for your 1350 doubler?

NOTAJP said:
What did you use for your 1350 doubler?

Custom casting, custom shaft. Made by a friend of mine. Eventually they will be for sale, but he's got way too many projects on the go ;-) The extra 2.48:1 works wonders tho!

Welcome to the site:D

Just messing around, thought I'd update the Exploder situation:

Captain AirTime said:
Just an introduction for myself and my latest ride.
Just got a 92 4dr XLT cheap with a bad 200K mile motor. Picked up a cheap '94 motor for it, and we'll go on from there. For a '92, it is in excellent condition cosmetically.

This will be a daily driver, so right now, my thoughts for it are this:
700R4 NV241 (or keep the 1354, we'll see $)
4.10 True Tracs, or an Electrac in the rear
rear disc
custom 3" lift, D44 knuckles, shooting for about 14-16" good wheel travel.
maybe bilstiens, maybe even coilovers, we'll have to wait and see. I love TTB's!
maybe 1" body lift if I need it to clear 33x10.50 BFG's.

Erik

I came to my senses and decided not to persue the automatic crap. The A4LD is drained and ready to drop, and the 2002 Edge M5OD-R1HD is waiting to go in with a freshly surfaced flywheel and a Centerforce DF clutch.
The lower mile motor is in and runs great, but the exhaust is more rust hole than steel :D
My 4.10 disc rearend is set up with 5- 5.5" studs, waiting for the truetrac that should be here in about 10 days, and the front Truetrac and Dana/Spicer 4.10 Gears are on the same shipment. Next up is to cut/turn the beams and get the Dana44 knuckles on, then decide the best way to get ~4" lift in the rear. Probably new springs will be the answer, but I'm also looking at a SOA with the overload removed and/or a slider on the frame to replace the shackle.
I've got a new Panasonic CD deck and 12" sub to go in, 4 speakers, and waiting on my amp, custom sub box, and remote start/alarm, then its ready to drive, FINALLY! Actually I'll try to stick my old 31" BFG's on it before I lift it so I can get it on the road sooner, then pick away at the rest, and do what's gotta be done to fit the 33's. I'll be all ready for the snow by the time the flowers bloom :rolleyes: as usual!

Back