New Explorer Concept revealed | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Explorer Concept revealed

hmmmmmmm, anyone else see alil edge in the mix also, w/ a chunk of the flex as well, Someone needs to do a photo shop,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That thing pictured on the previous page is downright hideous. It appears they kinda pieced together a body using existing vehicle parts, so hopefully it wont actually look like that...but if it resembled that at all, i'd actually prefer the concept that was referenced 12 pages ago.

crossovers are popular but ford has too many. if the explorer name is gonna be used, it should be used on a truck platform. ford is dumb, instead of making an affordable mid-sized true 4wd vehicle that lots of people would buy they are scrapping them all and building station wagons. a small 4wd suv would sell, my mom frequently asks me if theres anything ford makes new thats comparable in size to a wrangler or an old bronco II that could withstand use on a rural mail route, and i have to say no.

the escape has a 4x4 version. Though I don't know how sturdy it is. Might be good for a mail route.

The blame doesn't rest on ford. They do what they have to to survive, problem is, according to recent events, over half the country is either stupid, selfish, or gullible. So to survive, ford has to make cars for stupid people too.

I like the ex concept, as a street mobile, the unibody is , I beleive, an over complication of a simple machine, that is, a box on wheels. But again, this is only a concept vehicle, notice the big ass green compass on the dash? No way that's making it into a production run, the afore mentioned stupid people can't even use a compass much less want a big green one taking up room in there dash. Not to mention the crazy seat slider bar thingamajig, this is simply an example of what ford can make if the EPA and federal government LEFT THEM ALONE.

The explorer was never ment to be an ass kicking off road monster when it was designed last century, it was a family hauler and grocery getter for the middle class with 4x4 capability for those scary snowy nights too and from the pharmacy to get the nyquil for little jimmy with a cold.

The fact that they can be such ass kicking off road monsters is an indication if the intelegence of the designers.

The cold truth is that us off road guys are a niche market, I live in oklahoma, one of the redest states in the union, people here now how to have fun in...hmmm.... Unsofisticated ways, yet I still only see one or two trucks built for off road a day.

Take places like manhattan for example, the only park they have that's big enough to have fun in with a 4x4 there not aloud to drive through! They could care less about big tires and low range, but ford still has to sell cars there, so they have to round off there designs.

That being said. I do hope that whatever the explorer DOES look like it will be more rugged and angled than the last few examples, but isn't it much more fun to pick up a 10-15 year old first or second gen for a couple grand and beat the heck out of it? Than to buy some new shiny thing for 35k and be worried about mussing the paint?

Anyway. Just my thoughts.

crossovers are popular but ford has too many. if the explorer name is gonna be used, it should be used on a truck platform. ford is dumb, instead of making an affordable mid-sized true 4wd vehicle that lots of people would buy they are scrapping them all and building station wagons. a small 4wd suv would sell, my mom frequently asks me if theres anything ford makes new thats comparable in size to a wrangler or an old bronco II that could withstand use on a rural mail route, and i have to say no.

I must say,I agree with you on that.there needs to be more trucks like that out on the road.it bummed me in '04 when chevy/suzuki discontinued the tracker/vitara and when kia re-did the sportage.it reallly annoys me :mad:

the escape has a 4x4 version. Though I don't know how sturdy it is. Might be good for a mail route.

The blame doesn't rest on ford. They do what they have to to survive, problem is, according to recent events, over half the country is either stupid, selfish, or gullible. So to survive, ford has to make cars for stupid people too.

I like the ex concept, as a street mobile, the unibody is , I beleive, an over complication of a simple machine, that is, a box on wheels. But again, this is only a concept vehicle, notice the big ass green compass on the dash? No way that's making it into a production run, the afore mentioned stupid people can't even use a compass much less want a big green one taking up room in there dash. Not to mention the crazy seat slider bar thingamajig, this is simply an example of what ford can make if the EPA and federal government LEFT THEM ALONE.

The explorer was never ment to be an ass kicking off road monster when it was designed last century, it was a family hauler and grocery getter for the middle class with 4x4 capability for those scary snowy nights too and from the pharmacy to get the nyquil for little jimmy with a cold.

The fact that they can be such ass kicking off road monsters is an indication if the intelegence of the designers.

The cold truth is that us off road guys are a niche market, I live in oklahoma, one of the redest states in the union, people here now how to have fun in...hmmm.... Unsofisticated ways, yet I still only see one or two trucks built for off road a day.

Take places like manhattan for example, the only park they have that's big enough to have fun in with a 4x4 there not aloud to drive through! They could care less about big tires and low range, but ford still has to sell cars there, so they have to round off there designs.

That being said. I do hope that whatever the explorer DOES look like it will be more rugged and angled than the last few examples, but isn't it much more fun to pick up a 10-15 year old first or second gen for a couple grand and beat the heck out of it? Than to buy some new shiny thing for 35k and be worried about mussing the paint?

Anyway. Just my thoughts.

I agree. The Escape would be fine for a rural mail route, just get the 2009 or one with a manual trans. The 4-speed automatics in the Escapes are weak and have a poor reliability record.

The original Explorer design borrowed a lot of features from the Ranger and Bronco II. I always liked the B II, but though the cargo space was inadequate. Then the Explorer came along... Sure, the Taurus wagon could haul the same amount of cargo, but when I bought my Ex, the Taurus styling was awful with everything oval. Besides the Ex is all-weather and all-road, and off-road capable!

Bob

Fail

that (excuse my french) is ####1ng discusting!

doesnt resemble an explorer to the least bit, who the F*CK IS GONNA LIFT THAT THING AND TAKE IT MUDDIN'????? They'd might as well get a license plate:

"****"

:splat:what tha:censored: they should replace tha mini van with this. then do over the ranger make it an suv and offer it with a explorer pkg.:chug::troops:

phpThumb.php

I kinda like it--

Well i have a name ford it ( ford leaveright ) leave it right where it is.

**** still sucks....sorry for the language....seriously though the modeling on a ford bronco 95' hell even a 80's is so much prettier to me than something like that....what about the good ol' boys...wheres are dream machine???

If they produce it....I don't want it to be badged as an Explorer....may the name die with dignity....

I just got some news on what the explorer is going to look like. To ease your minds a bit, it's not going to look like that Ford Taurus X and Flex thing.

It will look more like that Explorer America that this thread begins with. So it's not totally dead, but it will be uni-body like the Taurus X. It will also come standard with a 4 cylinder engine that apparently, I here, will perform like the V8. I believe it will be one of the EcoBoost engines. It will still be able to go offroad, but obviously not perform as well as the current and previous years do offroad.

The main reason for this is the bill made and passed during George Bush's presidency in 2007 where the fuel economy for vehicles needs to improve by 40% within the next few years. So, that explains the uni-body construction, sadly. Atleast we can say it will still look like an SUV, if an SUV can be uni-body, and not like a lifted station wagon, like that Taurus X/ Flex.

I have to say, it dosen't look terrible. I like the glass roof, but I don't like the minivan type rear doors. Hopefully, they will tone down the design. It looks a little too futuristic to be meant for 2011.

-Marc

well, they might do something similar for a 4 cylinder. Maybe not ecoboost, but some fuel efficient, yet powerful engine for a small 4 cyl.

-Marc

Marc is right- from actual Rotunda design drawings and clay model, the New Ex looks nothing like the grafted Flex-TaurX.

Seth is right- as many enthusiasts are on the forum- it's a niche. For every Ex they may sell that would get lifted and go muddin' there will be 15 sold that will never leave the pavement unless it's gravel on a little league parking lot. Ford will build for the mass market.

Ford does not make a minivan, so that's not an option, they have to fill that utility slot as well as take care of the 4x4 market.

IMHO, until shortly before actual media release, stop thinking that the vehicles you see testing are what will actually be produced and give Ford a shot. Relax a little :)

I agree with Joe. I hope I didn't sound to worried on how it looks, I thought I was being more informative.

I have found out after many years of researching concept cars is that they change either dramatically or a little from what it originally looked on the drawing board. That's why they call it a "concept" anyway. I guarantee the final design that we'll see on the roads for 2011 will be more refined and maybe well liked. Like I said, it is still to futuristic to be meant for the roads less than a year from now.

-Marc

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I personally cannot wait for the '11 to be in production...It will be just in time to trade in my 03. Hopefully they finally get it right..the explorer is a dying breed right now and it needs freshened up...A LOT. I think the unibody design is a great step in the right direction. Ford must be doing something right. Out of the big 3 they didn't need Gov't help. The Fusion & Edge has been a huge hit, and so has the escape. From the looks of the mule with the production front end it looks as though the explorer will remain looking beefy. I just think everyone should open their minds and give it a shot. Wait until it comes out after a yr then knock it down. Afterall a 4cyl engine that will put out as much power as a v8 is pretty sick, and still get 26mpg!? & still have true 4x4!! I have a feeling this is going to set the bar for what the rest of the industry needs to do..at least i hope! :)

Back