New F-150 Lightning | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New F-150 Lightning

whats the deal with the 20 inch plus sized wheels on the "performance" vehicle concepts? i know they make em look cool (sort of) but who wants to replace 22 inch rubber every couple of weeks? and how much better would it hook up on 15 inchers? also, those rims are plain hideous anyways and the intake "scoop" for the rear brakes or whatever it is really looks out of place to me.

other than those little things i love the truck! i just hope that someday i can afford one although i would rather have an expedition done up similarly even if it were a bit slower and i'd take an auto if it would hold up to the power.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only thing I dont like about the outside is what they do with mustangs too...I find IMO that Ford uses this look where is is like one think wall along the whole mustang and then they just stick a roof on top. I dont have a picture to show you what I mean but I find it looks sortof plain. They seem to use the same concept with this. Its like one long thick plate with wheel wells and a roof.

Replace the yellow with grey and I woudl kill for that truck! 500 horses! Change the rims and I would buy one over a BMW or porsche WHEN(not if) I win the lottery.

Silverblade, I think the reason mustangs look like this, and they have since the 93 redo, is that they are designed as convertibles FIRST. This was also the first year without a notchback version that was easily adaptable to a convertible. This makes the whole design process easier. And makes the convertible look better. BTW I like the Lightening. Where's all the hoses, wires and relays under the hood? I wish my truck was that simple!

Originally posted by expo5.0
and the intake "scoop" for the rear brakes or whatever it is really looks out of place to me.

Actaully, I believe, that is the exhaust.

That truck ROCKS!!!!! I wasnt too into at first, but its growin on me. With a CONSERVATIVE 500hp/500trq I would pimp it fo sheazy!!

Now to ruin some of your fun....

The six speed is dead according to a Ford factory tech on F150 world. I think it will be replaced with a seriously built 5speed overdrive auto. The current L has a 4speed overdrive auto. The new trans should be much much stronger.

I'm 99% sure the yellow seats will go away, along with the yellow interior trim pieces. I dont see the 22inch rims stayin either.

Also, its the same roots blower as before. An Eaton (roots) M112. This time its rear entry which makes it a true 112 inches, not 92 like the previous blower. The KB blowers are twin screws and look distinctly different from an Eaton as in they dont have the snout that sticks out like the eaton. The eaton unit is more square white the twin screw blowers are more rectangular and have a lower profile

Originally posted by Magicfan25

Also, its the same roots blower as before. An Eaton (roots) M112. This time its rear entry which makes it a true 112 inches, not 92 like the previous blower. The KB blowers are twin screws and look distinctly different from an Eaton as in they dont have the snout that sticks out like the eaton. The eaton unit is more square white the twin screw blowers are more rectangular and have a lower profile
SVT said their using a twin-screw on the new engine instead of a roots charger, they said their using the Lysholm charger (like in the info above) which is almost the same unit used by Mercedes.

Are sure their going to use an Eaton roots type??, cause they've posted on Mustang and Ford forums saying their using a twin-screw.
:confused:

Hmmm. I figured the twin screw was just a typo or somebody that didnt know better. I had never heard of lysholm before. Only twin screw I knew of was the whipplechargers.

Lysholm's been making them for awhile. Usually for OEM purposes. THey alsomake them for aircraft engines. Many prop planes in WWII had Lysholm superchargers in them.

Hmmm. I figured the twin screw was just a typo or somebody that didnt know better. I had never heard of lysholm before. Only twin screw I knew of was the whipplechargers.
Their using the Lysholm unit, it's almost exactly what Mercedes uses on it's new AMG Models, it's a Japenese based company that's the largest twin-screw maker, I think they contract out to whipple and KenneBell.

Besides Whipple, which is mainly for Chevy's, although they have a charger out for the Triton V10 now and I think the Triton 5.4 V8. Then you have KenneBell which I love.

I think they'd have a hard time getting that amount of power out of even the large Eaton unit efficiently.

Plus with the Lysholm twin-screw the new Lightning will have one of the sickest torque bands around, they usually deliver full boost on average across the rpm range which means one massive, flat torque curve.

Interesting info.

Both blowers produce nearly full boost from 2000rpm or so it seems. But the twin screws with the same size pulley will make more boost than the eaton unit. Not to mention 90degree cooler intake temps, that was on a Saleen which uses the M90 I think. Finally, they use an efficient blower...not slap one of those on the new cobra too

Interesting info.

Both blowers produce nearly full boost from 2000rpm or so it seems. But the twin screws with the same size pulley will make more boost than the eaton unit. Not to mention 90degree cooler intake temps, that was on a Saleen which uses the M90 I think. Finally, they use an efficient blower...not slap one of those on the new cobra too
A roots will develop full boost down low, but it tapers off as the revs rise, thats why their known more for their lowend power, a centrifugal charger for the most part develops less boost down low but builds as the revs rise which is why their known for their midrange and highend abilities.

A twin-screw is the best of both worlds, the low end torque of a roots type, and the high end pull of a centrifugal type.

About the Cobra, KenneBell slapped on a twin-screw in place of the eaton and gained somewhere around 80-100rwhp on the dyno, amazing how efficient they are.

Right now my friends 03' Cobra is around 470-480rwhp with just a few bolt ons and a pulley swap, he's waiting for KenneBell to come out with their kit but KenneBell delayed their times for delivery.

im guessing they ditched the 6 spd. manual in favor of an auto for traction reasons. its hard to get a truck to hook up with an auto, and its dam near impossible to do it with a manual. 500 hp and little weight over the rear tires, launching would take years of practice.;)

That engine compartment it sick. Its just like the old muscle cars... you open the hood and all you see is an engine and the ground. None of that electronic crap in the way or anything like that. Now, I know its gotta be there somewhere, so what did they do with it all? Is it burried in those odd looking fender walls?

I really like that intake that ties into the hood, very trick.

As for the rest of the styling, I think it's a good departure from the latest bland F150 styling. The edges and openings will probably be toned down for production, remember this is only a concept.

its crazy that they can come out with a lightning each time that i like much, much more than the previous. or maybe it is just the idea of running around town in a 500 hp truck! a 500 hp x would be even more impressive.

when do you guys think this will be comming out? any idea as far as price? i will be looking for a new truck next spring and if this is out and the price is some what nice i might be driving one by next summer =)

Originally posted by DocVijay

4434ford_lightning_burnout.jpg
[/B]

one 2004 lightning- $30k+

1 recless driving ticket- $250

set of 4 22" tires- $2500+

roasting the tires on a beastly f150 priceless...

actually its around $32750+

I find it hard to believe it will still sell for 32xxx with all that. Its probably gonna be closer to 40k if it keeps all the stuff the prototype has. Also its highly unlikely it will be produced for 2004. When a model is completely revamped like the 2004 F150 is, SVT tries to skip that year due to the likelyhood of unforseen problems. General consensous is to look for it in 05, possibly 06.

But now that the SRT 10 is out, they may have to make it now anyhow.

Silverado SS is a joke...mid-low 14s. It has 340hp and like 380ft lbs in a 5000lbs truck with AWD. AWD comes nowhere close to making up the missing power.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back