New Ford Explorer Sport: Fuel-Efficient, High-Performance SUV | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Ford Explorer Sport: Fuel-Efficient, High-Performance SUV

I found just the opposite when replacing my OEM 20" wheels with 17's for the Winter. More sidewall and a little better ride.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oops. Typo. Yes, it has 20 inch wheels and the ride is better than with 18 inch in other models. Road bumps not as harsh.

weird becasue 18s on anything should be a softer ride really..more sidewall..softer ride

These Continental tires are bigger in diameter and width than the Hancock ones. Not sure why the switch at Ford, but the ride is way better than the '05XLT. Maybe it is the suspension redesign as well.

Can you guys hear the stock turbos when you truck is completely stock? I herd it for the first time tonight. I had the radio off trying to find a squeak and i could hear them on accel

Can you guys hear the stock turbos when you truck is completely stock? I herd it for the first time tonight. I had the radio off trying to find a squeak and i could hear them on accel

Yes, they do whine a lot if the road is smooth and radio off.

Yes, they do whine a lot if the road is smooth and radio off.

I saw other people say they were quiet..but with low radio i could hear them...not loud..but i could hear them

Since the turbos are small and are below the engine and surrounded by all kinds of noise blocking tubing and covers, they are not very loud.

Since the turbos are small and are below the engine and surrounded by all kinds of noise blocking tubing and covers, they are not very loud.

So sometimes on highway when passing someone i hear them a good amount..but the same drive ect later in day i may not even hear a thing with radio at my normal volume with road noise ect

usually when accelerating from say 65-75 with the foot down a good amount is the speed i most hear them

Hi Folks,
I'm interested in buying a new Sport...one small problem though, and thought someone here might know a little about this. I am having a problem with the height, and the lowing of the sport, although i understand why it has been lowered, i just can't get over the fact that it is this low. I love the size, and the power, but the height, i don't know? My question is, can the Sport be lifted, and raised to be a little taller, and how would you go about it, and what are your thoughts of doing so? Thanks!

The sport front end when looking at it from like 20-30 feet away looks very nice and sporty with the slightly lowered suspension over the other models.

I love that it's a tad lower stock and with the stiffer springs it really made it a great sports SUV

These Continental tires are bigger in diameter and width than the Hancock ones. Not sure why the switch at Ford, but the ride is way better than the '05XLT. Maybe it is the suspension redesign as well.
Can't compare the ride/drive to an 05', completely different, it's not the 20s. Its the fact the previous gens were body on frame, even with independent suspension their not going to drive like a unibody x-over.

Can't compare the ride/drive to an 05', completely different, it's not the 20s. Its the fact the previous gens were body on frame, even with independent suspension their not going to drive like a unibody x-over.

Ya the ride will be wayyy different/better even with a sport suspension and 20 inch wheels

How much better is the steering in our sports then the stock explorer? I like how tight it is..no way a stock explorer feels this tight steering does it?

Just bought 2015 Explorer Sport with 10 miles last month. Nice truck but disappointed with the MPGs. Drove to Austin from Dallas and averaged 15.4 miles and averaging 13-14 in the city. Dealer has told me that the turbo Eco boost needs time to break in. That doesn't seem legit to me so please someone help me understand why such a discrepancy on the MPGs listed and actual MPGs.

I had the 2014 Corvette Stingray convertible. Drove with top down and AC on and I averaged better than the Explorer.

Any recourse as well from what Ford advertises to actual MPGs.

Any assistances would be appreciated.

Regards,
Ernie

Don't understand those MPG numbers. The worst I ever got on my 2014 Sport was 12 MPG from being two hour traffic jam. Usual driving on freeway at 60-65 mph is an easy 24.5 to 25 MPG if I do not do any hard accelerating on ramps and hot dogging through traffic. Usual city and highway combined is running me 18 MPG after 14,000 miles of use. Majority is from city driving and less than 10 mile commutes. Far better than either my 2005 V6 XLT at 14 MPG avg. or the "93 V6 XLT (remember 160 HP?) at around 12.5 overall. The '93 never got better than 17 MPG highway.

Your two seat Corvette was lighter and more aerodynamic...and didn't carry much stuff.

Just bought 2015 Explorer Sport with 10 miles last month. Nice truck but disappointed with the MPGs. Drove to Austin from Dallas and averaged 15.4 miles and averaging 13-14 in the city. Dealer has told me that the turbo Eco boost needs time to break in. That doesn't seem legit to me so please someone help me understand why such a discrepancy on the MPGs listed and actual MPGs.

I had the 2014 Corvette Stingray convertible. Drove with top down and AC on and I averaged better than the Explorer.

Regards,
Ernie
Check out the 21 page thread on poor mileage; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341371&highlight=poor+mileage

Peter

Regards,
Ernie

I drove from Nashville to Chicago (I65 through Louisville and Indy) in my '16 Sport and still got 21 and ran it really hard (85-90 mph) last couple hours of the trip (Was getting 24+ before that). Not sure where those numbers are from. Are you making sure to run Top Tier fuel?

Ecobeast,

Thanks for your reply regarding your MPGs on your 2016. We just drove to Destin, FL from Dallas and back and the display shows 16.9 average so I don't know why such a discrepancy. I put regular gas. Also noticed when I would fill up the tank it showed 260 miles till empty then would increase about another 40 miles while driving on the highway.

Let me know how I can get the MPGs to increase. Also have you heard that there is a break in period for the Eco Boost?

Thanks,
Ernie

Ecobeast,

Thanks for your reply regarding your MPGs on your 2016. We just drove to Destin, FL from Dallas and back and the display shows 16.9 average so I don't know why such a discrepancy. I put regular gas. Also noticed when I would fill up the tank it showed 260 miles till empty then would increase about another 40 miles while driving on the highway.

Let me know how I can get the MPGs to increase. Also have you heard that there is a break in period for the Eco Boost?

Thanks,
Ernie
Definitely better MPG after about 4-5,000 miles. I use full synthetic oil, not blend, avoid heavy full throttle acceleration (a real mileage killer with the Sport) and premium fuel of 91 or better. If you use regular, it is okay, unless you have a lead foot as the computer adjusts for the desired power with the lower octane and MPG goes way down. If you want to see, watch you MPG on the left 2" dash screen, controls are on the left side of the steering wheel. Glance at the instant MPG different times as you drive.
Also, the trans is slow in upshifting, so I frequently assist the automatic with the paddle shifters if the revs are holding above2500 rpm unnecessarily too long.

And check the trans mode dial below the shifter to be sure that you are in the normal driving mode.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that is aftermarket..can't order from factory no matter where. MA legal limit is 35%....but i am going with 20%.

(helps that i know a statie and a place to pass inspection :D)

Dumb question maybe, but that being said, one i need to know. Is the 20% above or below the 35% limit? :)

Back