New Front Clip, Paint now or later? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Front Clip, Paint now or later?

Let me try to be a little more clear. I have a car that was wrecked. Front clip is shot. I will be replacing the whole front clip as money permits.

My real question is when to paint the front clip? Do you paint each fender and then assemble or do you put the whole thing togather and then paint it?

I'm most likely changing color on the whole car as well. Not sure if that changes the decsion process?

Attachments

• Camaro.jpeg
    Camaro.jpeg
    104 KB · Views: 268

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it changes the decision process for sure.
repairing a fender, grill, bumper etc you can often get away with spraying the parts then fitting them. I would prefer to fit them, then remove them, then have them sprayed, then install.

If you are changing the color of the whole car I say get it all put together, then have it sprayed, also plan to remove all glass, trim, interior and drivetrain :)

Nice friggin car BTW.

Thanks

It was real nice for about 2 weeks...SVO got the A/C fabircated and working, sound system was upgraded to Rock Concert levels, new front disk brakes worked almost good enough.....

This is my 2 year project now. Hope to be using it as a daily driver before Thanksgiving. Ugly, but working is fine for me.

Looks like I'll get to practice bodywork now. The Classic Bronco has a lot of rust in the underbody, so between this and the Camaro, my weekends should be full.

Thanks Rob

whadya hit?

Smackarooo...

Found the rear end of a Nissan frontera appealing. The Class 3 hitch tore me up though...

It was my daughters car. Only had liability at the time, because I put off calling the insurance company after it was restored to drivable condition by SVO. Talk about fealing stupid. 3 cars ahead someone stopped, then the Nissan barely stopped in time, then the Camaro closed the deal and stopped 18" after the Nissan. Just glad no one was hurt.

Anyway, she can't afford to repair it and I couldn't stand to let it go...So now it's my car and she is driving a really nice Rubicon on 35's. I have rights to drive it at anytime though, but still she won on the trade. I just didn't want to give up the Camaro.

Rob

pssst I'd rather have the Camaro, even wrecked :)
Although the Rubi's are awesome, that car right there is *****IN

with out question paint it on the car detrimed

Attachments

• 68rs001.JPG
    68rs001.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 227
  • ef engine.jpg
    ef engine.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 217

BTW that first photo made me cry

I don't know how Monmix feels about this, but if you do change the color I wouldn't take out the glass unless you want it to be a show car. Put it all together then put on the color.
If you plan on having it painted it will cost you as much to have it jammed as the complete outside of the car.

I would remove glass and every thing.

Personally.

Back