New Glamis Curfew In Effect!

Ken Cooke

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Riverside, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Rubicon - Tomb Raider
I was reading in the L.A. Times today, that the local city council voted to initiate a curfew on Competition Hill in Glamis in a way to control the "unruly crowds" that will be there for Thanksgiving. The curfew will take place from sunup to sundown and people caught there will have either a fine or 6 months in jail [misdemeanor]. While the B.L.M. backs this move, the American Sand Association is against it since they were blocked out of the bargaining, and the Center for Biological Diversity is against it because that will cause the crowds to move to another dune that isn't "destroyed yet" - and that's a quote. If anyone wants, I can try and find a link to this article online or extract more info from the newspaper article.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

curfews will never fly at Glamis. I would like to read the article. scan it in and post it. If needed, I can host the image.

Man things have really changed down there. I grew up in Yuma and we would go out there quite a bit. The key word is "caught".

The cops ride 4x4 Kodiaks, try catching a Banshee with paddles, even better a sand rail with a big block and paddles.

typo error [oops!]

The curfew takes place on Comp hill from sundown to sunup. And, yeah, people might outnumber the authorities given the popularity of this sand hill...

Short News Article (more on the way)...

-------------------------------------------

Imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Area (Glamis):

COMPETITION HILL TO BE CLOSED NIGHTLY DURING ALL 3-DAY WEEKENDS
STARTING THANKSGIVING WEEKEND!!!!!

On November 19, 2002 the Imperial County Supervisors voted in an
ordinance to close Competition Hill from one half hour before sunset
to one half hour after sunrise. This will be a misdemeanor fine if
violated.

The county supervisors wanted the OHV community to know that this
was NOT directed at the OHV community in anyway, but to stop all the
RAVE party's that have been chronically happening for the last few
years.

The Law Enforcement Officials have stated that the use at
Competition Hill has changed to a party area and very few OHV's now
recreate there or go up the Hill.

I didn't know that Competition Hill was transformed into a "Rave" location?!? I guess I've been missing out on some action for far too long!:p

Photo Removed by Admin

Another article on Competition Hill

The Imperial County Board of Supervisors, yesterday, voted and passed a County Ordinance (#1359) limiting the hours visitors to the Glamis dunes, in particular, the popular dune gathering spot known as Competition Hill, can access the Hill. Effective immediately, Competition Hill is closed from one hour before sunset to one hour following sunrise. This is a seven day a week ordinance. We spoke with the Chairman of the IC Board of Supervisors, Hank Kuiper, this morning. Mr. Kuiper stated it was necessary to implement this ordinance immediately in order to impact the Thanksgiving crowd. Be safe, enjoy the weekend, and remember the Ordinance. We may not agree with it, but is now the law.

ASA Letter to Imperial County Sheriff and BLM State Director

To the ASA Membership and all sand dune enthusiasts,

As all of you know, the crowd gatherings at the Comp Hill area of the Imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Area (Glamis) have in recent years turned ugly, violent and unlawful. These crowd gatherings are not there for a legitimate OHV activity. Their purpose at Comp Hill is not to ride or show off their vehicles. These gatherings have been described as "rave parties", "mobs", "drunken brawls", "off-road revelers" etc. Many Duners have said that they no longer go to Comp Hill and are offended because of what is going on there.

While the overwhelming, vast majority of the OHV community does not participate in these activities they, inevitably, reflect upon the OHV community. Since this is occurring on an off-road recreation area it is inevitable that the off-roader is not only associated with it but also wrongly blamed for it.

Keeping the ISDRA open, as an OHV area is the very first priority of the ASA. The ASA encourages sound and prudent management of the ISDRA. The ASA has taken a pro-active role in working with the Bureau of Land Management in all aspects of managing the ISDRA. Environmental issues, such as the Peirson's MilkVetch plant, are not the only management issues that affect our OHV use of the ISDRA.

The outrageous behavior of the crowds gathering at Comp Hill must be dealt with. Sound and prudent management dictates that unlawful activities, outrageous behavior and conduct that offends public sensibilities not be allowed to occur on the ISDRA or any other OHV area.

This is a very serious matter that can affect our continued enjoyment of the dunes. Therefore the ASA board of directors has taken the following steps:

1. A letter, through the ASA law firm, has been sent to the IMPERIAL COUNTY SHERIFF and the CALIFORNIA STATE DIRECTOR OF BLM requesting them to curtail the unsafe and lawless behavior at the ISDRA.
(A meeting has been scheduled to hear what the responsible agencies plan to do to resolve this undesirable situation. ASA will take action to avoid capacity limitation or other solutions detrimental to OHV use at the ISDRA.)

2. The ASA has told the BLM that we would support a dusk to dawn curfew at Comp Hill.

3. The ASA has recommended to the BLM to enforce the existing rules and the California Off Road Vehicle laws.

4. The ASA has told the BLM that the ASA will support the enforcement of the new rule of no riding in the back of pickup trucks and unauthorized group activities.

Jerry Seaver
Chairman of the Board
ASA President

Keith Rosewitz
CFO, Director

Bob Mason
Director
Public Safety and Education Chairman

Grant George
Director
Biological Committee Chairman

Mark Harms
Director
Legal Committee Chairman

ASA Letter to Imperial County Sheriff and BLM State Director

November 12, 2001

VIA FACSIMILE AND U.S. MAIL
Sheriff Harold D. Carter
Imperial County Sheriff's Office
328 Applestill Road
El Centro, CA 92243

Mike Pool, State Director
Bureau of Land Management
California State Office
2800 Cottage Way, Suite W-1834
Sacramento, CA 95825-1886

Re: Safety Issues in the Imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Area

Dear Sheriff Carter and State Director Pool:

As legal counsel for the American Sand Association ("ASA"), I have been asked to review existing BLM rules and California OHV laws as applied to certain unsafe and potentially illegal activities in the Imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Area ("ISDRA"). I refer specifically to activities at Competition Hill and the impromptu drag races near Gecko Road and at Gordon's Well. Having completed my legal review, it is my opinion that the existing regulations could and should be strengthened, but are adequate to resolve this problem, so long as BLM and the Sheriff's Office provide adequate enforcement. Unfortunately, the ISDRA has long suffered from inadequate enforcement staff. This situation cannot continue if accidents are to be avoided.

ASA's correspondence with BLM indicates that the unsafe and unlawful activities at Competition Hill, Gecko Road, and Gordon's Well have grown steadily over the last few years and are now so prevalent as to create a significant public safety hazard, especially during holiday weekends. This is not an acceptable situation. During the last year, ASA has written several letters and emails to BLM requesting swift action to curtail these activities. But so far, no substantive action has been taken.

The current situation demands that sufficient enforcement staff be deployed at Competition Hill, Gecko Road, and Gordon's Well. The unauthorized activities at these locations not only endanger the physical well-being of those who recreate in the ISDRA, they expose the BLM and the Sheriff's Office to liability for failure to enforce the very rules designed to protect the safety of desert visitors. It is ASA's position that a serious accident will occur as a result of the activities at Competition Hill, Gecko Road, and Gordon's Well. It's not a matter of "if" - only a matter of "when." And ASA fears the "when" may be the upcoming Thanksgiving Weekend.

BLM has proposed additional rules to deal with safety problems in the ISDRA, and has submitted them to the Department of Interior in Washington. However, approval of the new rules may be months away. Further, while ASA believes the new rules are necessary, ASA is not convinced they will solve the problem completely. BLM and the Imperial County Sheriff's Office must work together to determine the appropriate course of action. For its part, the ASA Board is prepared to support a DUSK TO DAWN CURFEW at Competition Hill and NO PARKING RESTRICTIONS at the drag races.

Finally, the solution to this critical problem cannot be deferred until the proposed Resource Management Plan ("RMP") is finalized. Immediate action - preferably before the Thanksgiving Weekend - is required. ASA representatives would like to meet with both of you in El Centro during the week of November 12, 2001, to discuss a plan for addressing this serious issue. Please contact Jerry Seaver, President of ASA, to arrange such a meeting. If we do not hear from you by Thursday, November 8, we will contact your offices directly. Thank you for your time and attention to this matter.

Very truly yours,

David P. Hubbard

DPH/nlp
cc Jerry Seaver, ASA
Mark Harms, ASA
Bob Mason, ASA
Imperial County Board Of Supervisors
Sharon Housouer, Chief Deputy ICSO
Tim Salt, BLM
Ann Klee
Greg Thomsen, BLM, El Centro
Bob Zimmer, Chief Ranger
Dave Widell, Deputy Director

rave location??? I'd never thought the druged out drunken bozo's even knew of Comp. Hill! I'd like to see a 4x4 Kodiak even keep up with me let alone catch me :) Nothing says speed like a punched, ported and pollished Banshee. I'll find out this weekend ;)

This closure is just a cheap excuse!

I think it is a serious hoax to paint a picture that Competition Hill is a Rave location. I've heard that some events have been held out in Imperial County, but Comp Hill? That's ridiculous. For instance, would you believe that these kids would drive their Civics and Corollas on the sand to Comp Hill to get sand down their pants? Doubt It!

Dead Link Removed

Rave's? I remember the only thing you had to worry about was someone flying over the hill you were climbing up or something to that effect. Ken I've seen people try and take cars back there, stupidity at it's best.

Did anyone get out to Glamis over Thanksgiving?

While I simply drove past Glamis on the way to Lukeville, AZ. We got rained on big time the first couple of days. The trails at the Pinacate Biosphere Preserve turned into water holes, but the trails and the scenery were breathtaking. Did you guys in Glamis get rained on? How were the conditions over Turkey day weekend?

Ken, I think you need to move to the desert...lol. Seems like you're out here more than anywhere else.
I caught some of the Glamis traffic on the way home from T-haven(Thanksgiving weekend) but luckily I turned off on Dillon rd to avoid
that whole mess. I-10 looked like the 405 at rush hour except every vehicle was a motor home or a huge F-250
haulin sand toys.

Dave,

I love going out to the desert almost too much! I got married in Palm Springs, Honeymooned in 'Vegas, and I'm getting my truck set up for the wonderful backcountry traveling in Baja California and Joshua Tree w/a new set of coil springs and maybe some lights real soon. But, my parents are both getting older and we purchased a killer house here in Riverside, so, we're here...

PUt some sheets on your matress dude........

:)

Back