1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

new guy bad tranny

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jamesyarbrough, July 26, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. jamesyarbrough

jamesyarbrough New Member

City, State:
    north texas
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    hello all my names James and i am a proud owner of a 2004 explorer with 4.0. 2wd it has 116k miles

i joined the site to learn how to service the transmission and maybe fix problems with it. i have found alot of info already but im still searching so any links would be appreciated

anyone know the model number for my transmission? is it a 5r55w?

Last edited: July 26, 2011
  2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. DGoncalves

DGoncalves New Member

City, State:
    Riverside RI
    2000 merc mountee
    Whats up. My mom had a 99 mountaineer. and her tranny went at 122k your better off getting a v8 so its easy to pull that body weight. i just bought a v6 and im scared to even drive it lol. scared that trannys gonna go one day. but i'd recomend if you have to replace yours buy a tranny at the junk yard for like 300 bucks and get it professionally done unless your a handy mann then do it your self but i know you have to drop the transfer case and thats a pain in the ass!

4. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Brooklyn, NY
    88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars