new guy looking to buy his first explorer.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

new guy looking to buy his first explorer..

jlamoria88

Reaction score
City, State
west branch, mi
hey guys im new to the site and it seems pretty good so far..
right now i drive a 94 ranger 3.0 2wd and its alright but i live 3miles in the woods and 2wd isnt ganna cut it another michigan winter...

im looking at getting a 93 4door explorer "loaded" all stock soccer mom edition lol jk but its all stock...

so basicly what can you guys (and gals) tell me about the explorer like the positives and negatives...

well as hard as it is to beleive i like ford and chevy equally...
so kind of what im asking is why should i get a 93 explorer over say a 93 s10 blazer??
and plz i dont wanna read the response "cause chevy sucks", or "fords are the way to go"

thanks and i hope im not stepping on anyones toes with my first post :D

personally i prefer the looks of the s-10 blazer to the 1st gen x. issue ur going to have with either will be rust, so check frame and body. in my experience i have seen the older blazers dying by 100k while ive known some 1st gen Xs to go well over 250k miles. good luck.

personally i prefer the looks of the s-10 blazer to the 1st gen x. issue ur going to have with either will be rust, so check frame and body. in my experience i have seen the older blazers dying by 100k while ive known some 1st gen Xs to go well over 250k miles. good luck.

Good point on the rust potential. Another place to be sure and check for rust is in the rocker panels right in front of the rear wheel wells, especially on the passenger side. Rust there can be hidden by the plastic add-on pieces found on the Eddie Bauer and Limited models. Also look closely along the outside of the rear wheel openings.

I sold my 1st gen with 200k miles on it with the original engine and transmission working like Swiss watches. They will run about forever and reliably if basic maintenance and the transmission fluid and filter is changed every 30k-40k. The most substantial repair I did to the truck in the 150k miles i owned it was new front rotors.

Back