Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

New interior pieces

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by PHolmes, September 2, 2017.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. PHolmes

PHolmes New Member

City, State:
    Louisville, Ky
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2000 Mercury Mountaineer
    The headliner in my 2000 Mountaineer got soaked when the drain for the sunroof came off. I would have cleaned it, but when I removed it it was moldy. I have small children and didn't want the risk of them getting sick. I was wondering if anyone knew where to find new headliner backing and fabric, or had a DIY alternative. Thanks PH

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. RandomNerd2000

RandomNerd2000 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    South Carolina
    00 5.0, 01 4.0.
    People have pulled and done JY headliners, I've done that, it's a PITA but doable, or you can find someone to put a new one in there.

4. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

x
    I seriously doubt you'll find anybody who has a new headliner backing, but the fabric to reupholster a headliner should be fairly easy to find. I know AutoZone used to sell rolls of the foam-backed headliner fabric, but I don't know if they still stock it. Even an auto upholstery shop would have it I'm sure.

I would think if anybody might have a new headliner backing it might be Tasca Ford, but I really doubt it. If it were me (assuming bleach wouldn't get rid of the mold) I'd look at the salvage yard for a replacement backing and you might consider using one from a non-sunroof Gen II Explorer/Mountaineer (less chance of water damage) and modifying it by cutting the hole for the sunroof

5. PHolmes

PHolmes New Member

City, State:
    Louisville, Ky
    2000 Mercury Mountaineer
    Both good points. I guess it time to hit up the local pull-a-part. I think I could find the foam backed fabric around local. I wonder if I could make a mold using fiberglass or something. Or would it just break and fall on my noggin while driving?

6. J_C

J_C Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Florence, KY
    '98 XLT 4WD V6SOHC
    ^ You could probably put just about anything up there with spray adhesive. Carpet padding/etc, covered with leather, denim, outdoor carpeting, fabric store material, etc.

Just make sure the surface is clean so the adhesive takes to it, and you might want to cover everything else with newspaper or drop cloths, tarps, etc.

Last edited: September 2, 2017
  7. PHolmes

PHolmes New Member

City, State:
    Louisville, Ky
    2000 Mercury Mountaineer
    I'll try out something. Its just cosmetic anyway. Thanks for the replies.

8. Kidd7

Kidd7 Active Member

1999 Ford Explorer 2WD