• Register Today It's free!

New interior pieces

PHolmes

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, Ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mercury Mountaineer
The headliner in my 2000 Mountaineer got soaked when the drain for the sunroof came off. I would have cleaned it, but when I removed it it was moldy. I have small children and didn't want the risk of them getting sick. I was wondering if anyone knew where to find new headliner backing and fabric, or had a DIY alternative. Thanks PH

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

People have pulled and done JY headliners, I've done that, it's a PITA but doable, or you can find someone to put a new one in there.

I seriously doubt you'll find anybody who has a new headliner backing, but the fabric to reupholster a headliner should be fairly easy to find. I know AutoZone used to sell rolls of the foam-backed headliner fabric, but I don't know if they still stock it. Even an auto upholstery shop would have it I'm sure.

I would think if anybody might have a new headliner backing it might be Tasca Ford, but I really doubt it. If it were me (assuming bleach wouldn't get rid of the mold) I'd look at the salvage yard for a replacement backing and you might consider using one from a non-sunroof Gen II Explorer/Mountaineer (less chance of water damage) and modifying it by cutting the hole for the sunroof

Both good points. I guess it time to hit up the local pull-a-part. I think I could find the foam backed fabric around local. I wonder if I could make a mold using fiberglass or something. Or would it just break and fall on my noggin while driving?

^ You could probably put just about anything up there with spray adhesive. Carpet padding/etc, covered with leather, denim, outdoor carpeting, fabric store material, etc.

Just make sure the surface is clean so the adhesive takes to it, and you might want to cover everything else with newspaper or drop cloths, tarps, etc.

I'll try out something. Its just cosmetic anyway. Thanks for the replies.

Back