New KKM's??? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New KKM's???

BuffaloXplorer said:
Yup, it does....i hadn't seen that one...well, buy it and let us know what it's like

FYI - if you buy it, depending on the application, you'll need a spacer ring that goes on your MAS before it'll fit on your intake tube. I know this to be true of the OHV V6, but someone else with a SOHC v6/8 would need to chime in

I just installed my KKM yesterday in 20 minutes when my Throttle Body install was stalled by the need for extra parts...it sounds good when you get on it in city driving, but it's EXTREMELY intense on highway accelleration (i.e. from a dead stop at a toll booth to 80 mph). So intense that i think the wife is gonna know i've been moddin' again! VROOOOOM!!!

I ended up buying it because for 20$ shipped what can I lose. Ill write a review on it

As for the spacer ring, never hard of it or read about it when I searched the forums, could have been something i missed? I didnt buy after market tubing or anything, just an adapter so I can put a cone filter on the end of the MAS...

as for it being louder, good! Next weekend I am getting flowmaster SUV 50 series duals installed so it should compliment it nicely

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It comes as part of the KKM pack - but if yours is the SOHC i'm not sure if you'd need it...

ne pics of it or give me an idea of why id need it?

When you eliminate your airbox with the intake, you install the intake onto the maf and the maf onto your intake tube. When you remove your maf from the housing, note the difference between the maf outlet size and the airbox outlet size. The MAF is about 3/4" smaller (diameter). Now, remember, this is on my OHV4.0.

It's a ring made of rubber/fiber that makes up the inch or so diameter difference between the maf outlet and intake tube inlet. Unfortunately, i already installed it and cannot get you pics.

Also, i believe that with an aftermarket MAF it (the ring) wouldn't be necessary b/c of the larger diameter outlet on the new sensor

so basicly when you buy a KKM kit it comes with the adapter, cone filter, screws, mounting hardware, and this fiber ring that you need to make up for the diameter?

YUP...u got it. Again, i will reiterate, it is for my OHV...not sure on yours if it's a SOHC. I think a couple heavy-duty vacuum (I mean a household vac) belts could work if you need this "filler" ring.

well I guess I will test out this ebay deal when it comes in and if it doesnt work I will just buy a MAC intake system from Explorer Express

OHV and SOHC are the same fiter set up, at least on '99 they are :rolleyes:

That sucks because I have a SOHC

Looks like I have to buy another set up and resell this one on ebay. Maybe Ill get lucky and itll work?

Like i said - your setup may be worth it, but you may need to spend another $5 or so on vacuum belts (or even a cheap serpentine belt) - if you go serpentine, cut the belt and wrap it around the MAF outlet as many times as it takes to make up the difference and fits snuggly inside the intake tube. The intake tube strap-tightener will do the rest...

Ultimately, like you said, it was only $25...

I had to use the adapter on both my '95 OHV and '96 5.0. On the OHVs, I thought that only the '95s needed it, but maybe it is true for both '95 & '96. I know that it isn't needed on the '97 OHV, Ford switched to a different MAF setup that didn't need it.

Curtis,

The filler ring is only used on 95-97 models with the 4.0L OHV engine. The 98-Up SOHC models do not need this feature and use just the billet adapter on the MAF.

Warren

info@kustomz.com

www.kustomz.com

This is what they emailed me back

The diameter of the KKM is 3" correct?

Back