• Register Today It's free!

New member in need of help!

CKA

Reaction score
City, State
St. Augustine Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Sport Trac
I have a few issues with my 03 sport trac, my radiator coolant is leaking tremendously but I can't seem to find the leak lol, and my 4 wheel low will not initiate, causing me to drop back to two wheel although my 4 wheel high works fine. Not sure if it's a wiring issue or if anyone has Experianced this before.

Also some suggestions for a 5-6 inch lift and 1-2 inch spread would be great!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For your coolant leak, check the notoriously failing lower thermostat housing. Stay tuned for #2 and #3 .

How To Replace the Upper and Lower Thermostat Housing on a Ford 4.0L V6 SOHC Engine
http://bengrosser.com/howto/fordthermostat/

When you replace the thermostat housing upper/lower make sure you get the "new" coolent sensors. Reusing the old ones won't work unfortunatley. As far as a lift goes-- I have done a lot of research and found that Superlift is for me a good choice because it addresses the suspension issue with a 4" lift. I guess you could add a body mount on top of that but I would consider the narrow wheel base and being a little top heavy. But I'm sure it can be done.

I guess you could add a body mount on top of that but I would consider the narrow wheel base and being a little top heavy. But I'm sure it can be done.

The body weighs nothing in comparison to the frame, suspension and drivetrain, all of which stay in the same place with a body lift. Center of gravity is barely affected by lifting a little sheet metal with a body lift.

On the other hand, a suspension lift like superlift raises all that weight higher, actually raising the center of gravity.

Are you following the proper procedure to shift into 4WD Low? You can shift into and out of 4WD High on the go as long as the wheels aren't spinning, but you have to come to a stop, depress the brake, shift into neutral, and then shift into or out of 4WD Low. That's right out of the owner's manual.

.....one more thing- I wouldn't drive around with a that thermostat housing leak for too long. It'll leak all over your starter and those things cost $.

Okay I will check the thermostat housing then, and go try out the 4wd low in Neutral! Thanks, gonna look into the lifts a little more

Back