Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

New member, with a question about safety. Working under the SUV? Jacks, jack stand.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Roadblock1945, June 20, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Roadblock1945

Roadblock1945 New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2002 Explorer XLT
      Just picked up a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT.

Previous to this Explorer XLT, I have a Mitsubishi that was practically a toy car!. I could remove the transmission and carry it over to my bench. Removing the engine was a one man job too!

This is my first SUV. Comparatively speaking, thing things BIG. I had an 1987 Ford Ranger 4x4 back in the day but that thing was up high enough that jack standard or ramps were NOT needed.

Anyway I'm a little nervous about getting under it and I would like some safety suggestions for raising it up and not dying! :)

I have a decent 2.5 ton SUV jack so I'm good as far as getting it up but here are the options I have for keeping it there.

I have some old school sold steel ramps. I don't know what they are weight rated for but I got them from my friends dad and he owned a big 2500 series 4x4. They are much higher quality then any of the current shit you see at most auto stores so those seem OK.

I also have a pair of 3 ton jack stands and a pair of 6 ton jack stands.

I assume if I were to just jack the SUV up and put it on all four jack stands, level, that would be safe correct? My have a good solid cement floor in the garage with no signs of cracking. Normally I would only jack up one side or the front or back but I need it to be up and level because I'm changing fluids in the transfer case, and the front and rear end.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. albi1cnobi1

albi1cnobi1 Elite Mountaineer Elite Explorer

City, State:
      South Jersey
      99 Mountaineer V6 4x4
      With everything you've mentioned you'll be fine. You've got the safety aspect covered quite well.

4. 1Aauto

1Aauto EF Vendor

City, State:
      mass
      92 explorer
      Welcome to the side. You can support it on ramps or jack stands.

5. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars