• Register Today It's free!

New Member with Big Problems

MeanGene1016

Reaction score
City, State
Plainview, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer SE
I bought a 99 explorer 4X4 a couple of years ago for My wife to have something to drive when I'm not home. It recently started to sputter and We could smell a faint Gas smell inside the vehicle. I checked all the vacuum lines and the electrical connections and cant find anything wrong. The vehicle was rolled over about a year before We bought it and it was repaired by a back-yard mechanic with like 50 pounds of body filler then it was repainted. I've been keeping up with regular maintenance ie tune ups and oil changes and such but this problems got me stumped. The M.A.F. is good I just had both cats replaced and like 2 weeks later it quit on me. It idles fine until I put it in gear or try to rev it up then it sputters and dies. It seems like a fuel system issue but if anyone has advice from a similar issue please let Me know.:exp:

Still can't get a break

Ok... I followed the example of others on the site with similar problems but to no avail. Here's what I've done. A couple weeks ago I took it to a shop and they told me that both catalytic converters were bad so I paid them over $500 to change them. At first I thought that took care of the issue because it ran better for a while. Yesterday I tried to start it to go to the store but as soon as I put it in gear it died. I started it again and tried to rev the engine and as long as I slowly push the pedal in it revs past 4k with no problem but when I try to gun it it sputters and dies. The plugs and wires are less than a year old as well as a new K&N air filter and I cleaned the M.A.F. sensor, throttle body and idle air controller today and put everything back. I even added dielectric compound to the fittings before plugging them back in. I checked for leaks while I had the plastic cover off the intake by spraying starting fluid around the seams and the idle never changed. It still won't stay running, I'm stumped again...... PLEASE HELP! :exp:

I would check fuel pressure. the fuel pump might be getting week. or it needs a fuel fikter.

I found another indicator

I may have found the problem. I think the torque converter lockup has a short of is about to go out on me. I found one of My fuses blown and wouldn't you know..... It turned out to be the torque converter lockup fuse. I changed the blown fuse and it ran good for 2 days then it popped it again. I think I'm going to try replacing the fuse with a breaker to see if it's just a momentary surge or something causing the fuse to blow. If its a momentary surge then the breaker will reset and allow me to go on about my business. If I still have the same problem though and wind up taking out the breaker then I have bigger problems.:exp:

Back